alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

All the Essentials on Essential Oils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

There is a lot of debate going on over what is ok to put in our bodies and what is not so ok. Recently, there has been a lot of popularity in the re emerging trend of wholistic medicine and using the earth’s natural resources to lead a healthier lifestyle. Essential oils are just one of the many new methods of promoting physical and emotional health through the help of Mother Nature.

So, what are Essential Oils anyway? Basically, they are oils that are distilled from certain parts of plants (the seeds, bark, leaves, roots, stems, flowers, etc.). They can be used in a variety of ways and for a variety of reasons. The most popular methods are aromatherapy by using a diffuser, applying drops directly on the skin, or consuming the them by diluting a few drops of the oil in water. Each oil takes at most 20 minutes to start working their magic and they only require about two to three drops.

There are a lot of essential oil products out there with the price of each oil ranging anywhere from five to fifty dollars. The reason for such a wide gap is the purity and quality of the oil and the type of oil. I would say stick to trusted brands like DōTERRA, Rocky Mountain Oils, or Edens Garden if you want the best results and the best quality oils. They each have a wide variety of oils and ensure they are one hundred percent pure and from organically grown plants. Individually there are over one hundred different types of essential oils and they can target anything from headaches to drowsiness. Here are a list of some of the most popular oils and what they can do for you!

Peppermint:

This re-energizing oil is definitely most beneficial to a sleepy college student. Add a few drops to a glass of cold water to drink in the morning or let it diffuse while you’re getting ready to wake you up for that 8am class.  You can also diffuse peppermint to calm down an upset stomach or promote healthy respiratory function. If you have a cold or if you have asthma, peppermint can work to open up those airways. As a bonus, peppermint also helps to fight off bad breath! Just put a few drops on your tongue and you’re good to go.

Lavender:

This calming oil is most popular for its sweet, floral scent. Diffuse lavender before you go to bed to promote a restful night’s sleep. Its relaxing properties also helps in reducing anxiety, which can be a nice aid in getting you through midterms or finals. Message drops of lavender into your temples, neck or any tight muscle to reduce stress and tension. It has also been known to soothe irritated skin, so adding to an itchy scalp can prevent that pesky dandruff from coming back. It is also a nice summer staple because it can ease the pain of a sunburn and act as a natural mosquito repellent.

Clove:

This oil has a spicy scent similar to cinnamon, and is used in promoting oral health. Add a drop directly to a cold sore, or if the flavor is too strong, dilute a few drops in a little water and swish the solution around in your mouth. It eases pain, helps speed the healing process, and fights off bad breath. It also strengthens your overall immune system and has powerful antioxidant properties.

Lemon:

Diffusing lemon or adding it to an ice cold glass of water is one of the best ways to add a refreshing and healthy boost to your day. It has been known to elevate your mood and give you a boost of energy and is great for cleansing and disinfecting surfaces around your dorm or apartment. Lemon can also sooth an irritated throat by adding a few drops to a small amount of water and gargling it for 30 seconds. Similar to peppermint, lemon can open up your airways when you have a cough or a cold.

Wild Orange:

Like other citrus fruit oils, orange is a powerful cleanser and purifying agent. Its antidepressant qualities uplift the mind and body by elevating your overall mood. It helps in minimizing nervousness or fear by reducing anxiety and stress, so adding a few drops to you neck or wrists before a big exam or speech is always a good idea.

Sage:

This essential oil is used to promote hormonal balance and overall mental health. It can reduce emotional stress and mood swings and also works as an antidepressant. It is a great, natural way to sooth cramps and your overall health during that one crappy time of the month.

Frankincense:

This is probably one of the most important and versatile oils on the market. It has strong cell rejuvenating properties, so it is recommended for people with cancer, alzheimer’s, or those who just had surgery of any kind. It also helps with memory, so diffuse frankincense while you’re studying for those big tests. It can be applied to cuts or sores to aid in the healing process and it is also good for respiratory health. It can be used as a tool for balance as well, so all the sports players and dancers out there, adding a few drops to your wrists or temples before a game or performance wouldn’t hurt!

Cinnamon:

Cinnamon is the best oil when aiming to maintain a healthy immune system. It improves the body’s ability to cleanse unwanted toxins and helps fight off bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. So diffuse this spicy oil during that time of year when everyone at your school seems to be getting sick, or diffuse it just to make your room smell like a you just baked a fresh batch of cinnamon rolls.

Eucalyptus:

The natural cooling effects of this oil is a good aid in reducing fevers by massaging a few drops into your temples or your forehead. It can also be applied under your eyes to wake you up in the morning and reduce the appearance of dark circles with its anti inflammatory properties. It opens up airways to promote clear breathing and help reduce congestion.

Cardamom:

Cardamom is best used when directly applied to the skin to reduce the pain of headaches and muscles aches. Rub a few drops of cardamom into your temples or have someone massage it into those tense back muscles you can’t quite reach by yourself. This oil can also aid in the support of digestive health and eliminated the effects of nausea or motion sickness.

Using essential oils are one of the best natural ways to ensure a healthy, happy, and successful college experience. They are just one healthy habit of many that you can hope to add to your daily life as a student.  

Student at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City Majoring in Neuroscience and Studio Art