ACM Awards 2016: Country Music’s Finest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Yeehaw!

Last night (April 3) the Academy of Country Music awards aired live from Las Vegas at the MGM Grand. The ACM Awards were first held in 1966 and has since been honoring monumental achievements in country music. This year, country cuties Luke Bryan and Dierks Bentley did a hilarious monologue and Dolly Parton performed a medly of her greatest hits with pop sensation Katy Perry! Carrie Underwood rocked a silver frock during her phenomenal performance and Cam sang her beautiful hit “Burning House” in a gorgeous yellow gown. The show was quite a spectacle. 

The big winner of the night was the one and only, Miranda Lambert. She won Female Vocalist of the Year for the seventh year in a row! In her acceptance speech she gave a shout out to all of the females working hard in the music industry. “I love seeing tonight a bunch of new country girls up here shining, singing their great songs that they wrote themselves. I’m really excited for women in country music and I’m glad to be here as one of them.” You go girl! She sang a cover of “Tush” by ZZ Top with Keith Urban and Billy Gibbons and that was everything. She also won Vocal Event of the Year for “Smokin’ And Drinkin’”  featuring Little Big Town.

Jason Aldean debuted his new single “Lights Come On” and took home Entertainer of the Year. Tim McGraw wowed the crowd with his latest hit “Humble and Kind.” Thomas Rhett won Single Record of the Year for “Die a Happy Man.” Eric Church performed his new single, “Record Year” and acknowledged music legends who have recently passed away including: David Bowie, Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister and Glenn Frey. Church also won Video of the Year for his song “Mr. Misunderstood.” Blake Shelton performed his new single “Came Here To Forget” which is his first song since his divorce from Miranda Lambert.

Chris Stapleton, the new country “it” boy, won Male Vocalist of the Year as well as New Male Vocalist of the Year — wow! In addition, he won Album of the Year for “Traveller” and his song “Nobody to Blame” was Song of the Year!

Florida Georgia Line won Vocal Duo of the Year while Little Big Town snagged Vocal Group of the Year. Old Dominion took home New Vocal Duo or Group of the Year. New Female Vocalist of the Year went to Kelsea Ballerini who is currently taking the country world by storm!

Joey Feek, 1/2 of award winning duo Joey + Rory, was remembered in a special tribute. She sadly died this past February to cancer at the young age of 40. During the tribute, Joey + Rory’s hit song “Cheater, Cheater” played. Martina McBride and Darius Rucker were on stage with photos of her in the background.

We can’t wait to hear what these amazing country artists will put out next!

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside