Career

7 Waitressing Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

I spent this summer taking orders, schmoozing guests, and cleaning dirty tables. At times  the restaurant was so dead, I was lucky if I had four tables my whole shift. Other times, I ran around the restaurant like a chicken with its head chopped off trying to manage six tables at once. Over my three months as a waitress, I had time to learn, experiment, and grow. Now I’m here to share with you some tips and tricks that have helped me become the best waitress I can be.

1. Know the menu

You want to be able to describe what is in each dish so you can speak to guests comfortably. The goal is to know the menu inside and out. This will help you answer any and all questions that may be thrown your way. Study everything from vegetarian to gluten-free options so that you can easily help guests with allergies or specific food preferences. Looking knowledgeable and professional is key when serving. The better you know the menu, the easier it will be when you are faced with customers.

2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

There will be times when you feel as if you’re doing 50 things at once. You may have a new table sit down at the same time one asked for a to-go box. Another table asks for the check and while the other is ready to place their order. As a new server, your co-workers are there to support you. They all went through the same process as you and know it can be challenging to get the hang of things. Just remember, the last thing any company wants is bad review. A restaurant runs off of teamwork and collaboration. Someone should always be there and willing to help if you need it. All you need to do is ask politely and be willing to help them in the future if they need it. Especially as a beginner, you can’t expect to be able to do everything yourself. Your peers are there to help you succeed, so if there is anything you are confused about or just need a hand, don’t be afraid to ask!

3. Always have a smile

Being a server can be hard work. You never know who is going to walk through the front door and what their demeanor may be. Whether they’re in an amazing mood or miserable, the most important thing you can do is always keep a smile. No matter how rude a customer may be, kill them with kindness. The easiest way to cut out drama and save you time is to stay positive, do what the customer says and wants, and keep smiling. By acting friendly, you will create a comfortable environment or your customers. Not only will this increase your tips, but it will create a positive experience for the guests and leave a lasting impact on them. 

4. ALWAYS repeat the order back 

Not only will the guests be happy to hear their order is correct, but it will make your job ten times easier. It gives you the opportunity to fix an order before it is sent to the chefs, and gives the customer a chance to make any last minute changes or adjustments. When the food is ready, you will easily be able to tell if it was made correctly. For example, if a guest wanted a burger with american cheese and it comes out with pepper jack, you’ll be able to spot the problem and fix it before the guest can complain. Additionally, studies have shown that servers who repeat orders receive bigger tips! This quick and easy step is golden to becoming the best server you can be.

5. Multitasking is key

My biggest problem I dealt with as a waitress was time management. At the end of each shift, my restaurant required their servers to do a certain amount of roll ups depending on how many customers there were that day. For those who do not know, roll-ups consist of wrapping a fork and knife in a napkin after they are cleaned and set on the tables so that guests always have silverware. While the process itself is easy, the act of doing roll-ups takes time. My shift would end at 4pm but if I forgot to roll my silverware whenever I had free time, I would be stuck at my job until almost an hour later, sometimes even longer. After realizing I could roll my silverware while I waited for a tables food to be ready or while I had no tables, my life was made so much easier. The same goes for anything you do as a server. If you know a table is almost done eating, print the check out before they ask for it. It will give you one less thing to do later. There are many ways to make your job easier. With time, you will find the things that work for you!

6. The customer is always right

No matter where you work you will hear this saying. In the food business however, it is especially important. If an order comes out wrong or not up to your customers standards, ask what you can do to make their experience better and do it. Take action, bring the food back, and do all you can to make their experience the best it can be. Customers are paying good money for their food, and your job is to make it the best it can be for them. Do not argue with a customer as it will just result in wasted time and less money for you in the end. If you cannot help a customer, find a manager who can. This will make your life easier as well as still ensure the best tip possible for you. 

7. Don’t be afraid to upsell or offer additional purchases

The more money spent, the higher the tip. If your restaurant serves alcohol, be able to suggest the most expensive and highest quality. If a meal doesn’t come with a side, ask your guest if they would like to add one. Most of the time,  by putting a suggestion into a customers mind, they will gravitate towards it and be more likely to order it than if you said nothing. Suggest appetizers before the meal, and desserts after, but remember never to be pushy! While a suggestion is fine and usually well received, nobody wants a waiter who forces them into buying things. 

As time goes on, you will only get more and more comfortable. You will find your groove and feel like a professional as you do it. Now get out there, apply this advice, and make those tips!

Jordyn Sava is a Sophomore at Marymount Manhattan College. She is a lover of all things John Mulaney, The Office, and dogs. You can find her wandering through NYC while listening Spotify with an iced coffee In hand.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.