7 Manhattan Museums You Should Visit on a Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Instead of spending the past summer in my home state of Maryland, I decided to continue living in NYC. That allowed me eight weeks to not only work and take classes, but also I was able to explore parts of the city I had never experienced during the school year.

As you remember, the East Coast had one of its rainiest summers yet! At least once a week, I would be bombarded by a freak rainstorm on my morning walk to dance class. Because of this weather, I was unable to spend my free time lounging in Central Park or strolling through the Highline. But I had a brilliant idea! For every gloomy, stormy, or exhaustively hot day, I would venture to a different Manhattan museum. Not only was I able to escape the unbearable conditions of the outdoors, but I also learned about new cultures and unknown history.

With fall quickly changing to the icy winter, here are nine museums to visit on those days you’d rather stay inside.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art

As the largest art museum in the United States, exploring every exhibit in the Met took me about four visits. From observing the artifacts of Ancient Greece to examining landscape paintings from China, the Met literally has everything. The museum also does a great job of tying in the beautiful art to the history behind it. Every time I left, I felt more culturally educated, and like I should start painting myself.

2. New York Historical Society

The New York Historical Society is the first museum in NYC dating back to 1804. Its size is not as impressive as the luxurious Met, but its exhibits are still sights to be seen. My favorite exhibit was about Franklin Roosevelt’s Four Freedoms. Currently, they also have exhibits about Harry Potter and the folklore of magic, the 2017 Women’s March, the Jim Crow Era, and much more. It is almost necessary to stop by every few months with how often they change their exhibits.

3. Whitney Museum of Art

The Whitney Museum is located in Chelsea and is my favorite museum in all of New York. The completely white walls on all eight floors add to the beautiful aesthetic. This summer I was able to take one of their tours about David Wojnarowicz, an NYC artist who died of AIDS in the 1980’s. Because of the tour I now own two of Wojnarowicz’s books, and I have a greater understanding of NYC art culture in the 80’s. Though this exhibit is long gone, I am assured that every current exhibit and tour will be just as informative and breathtaking as my experience was.

4. American Museum of Natural History

The most spectacular aspect of this science museum is its hall of dinosaurs. The exhibit is covered from the floor to the ceiling in dinosaur bones and other natural artifacts. It will make you feel like you are actually in prehistoric times. Besides this hall, there are also exhibits dedicated to every aspect of science. Just to name a few, ocean life, the human senses, and the dark universe are some of my favorites. Spending your day here will let your inner science geek shine.

5. Rubin Museum of Art

Though the Rubin Museum is classified as an art museum, it is more than just that. It is a celebration and exploration of Asian culture. It mainly focuses on Tibetan art and history, but work from the Himalayas and India are also available to view. Currently, the museum is putting attention to the future in Asia, and how we can use our knowledge of the past to create an engaging future. Besides the educational aspect, the Rubin also has Cafe Serai, a restaurant filled with Himalayan delicacies. So enjoy Tandoori Octopus as you learn about the meal’s history and background!

6. National Museum of the American Indian

Growing outside of Washington DC, I have visited the National Mall’s Smithsonian museums more times than I can remember. My favorite one is the National Museum of the American Indian, which explores the lives of Native Americans from the beginning of civilization to the present day. Upon moving to New York City, I was excited to find out that my favorite DC museum had a branch in the middle of Wall Street. Currently, they have an exhibit about Native Americans who were in US armed forces and a performance called Circle Dance which demonstrates how integral dance is to Native American everyday life. Exploring this museum will help you understand a part of American history that is usually forgotten.

7. Museum of Modern Art

MoMA is a pretty remarkable museum. Both the building’s architecture and the actual exhibits are stunning. This art museum holds everything from Van Gogh’s Starry Night to an artistic look at the 1963 film, The Nutty Professor. Currently, they have a performance exhibit about Judson Dance Theater, an important part of dance history. As a dance major, this specific exhibit helped me better understand my artform. Not only that, but the exhibit allowed me to meet Yvonne Rainer, an original dancer of the Judson Dance Theater.

During this summer, museums became a big part of my life. I learned about works of art from around the world, delved into subjects I did not know existed and learned new things about myself. So whether it’s this coming up weekend or when the stress of the semester is over, go discover something new at one of the wonderful museums of NYC.

Senior at Marymount Manhattan Living her dreams in New York City Loves writing, dancing, and exploring
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com