jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 7 Best Fall Episodes of ‘Gilmore Girls’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

It’s finally fall. That wonderful time of the year where the leaves are changing, scarves are a thing, there are festive drinks, and leggings can be worn as pants. It’s simply magical. Well Amy Sherman-Palladino and everyone else involved in the making of Stars Hollow knew about the magic surrounding fall too. Somehow Lorelai and Rory are always shown in their whimsical town whilst fall is in the air. Don’t believe us? Read on for the best fall themed episode from each season of Gilmore Girls.

“Kiss and Tell” (Season 1, Episode 7)

Dean kisses Rory. Rory steals cornstarch. Lorelai finds out from Mrs. Kim. Yet amidst all this drama Lane and Rory somehow find time to dress up like pilgrims and gab all about the two second kiss in the market (on the good aisle!) It’s very adorable, supremely high school, and includes props such as a scarecrow and a cornucopia. Doesn’t get much more fall-ish than that. 

“The Road Trip to Harvard” (Season 2, Episode 4)

After ending her engagement to Max Lorelai takes Rory on a road trip to her dream school — Harvard. The campus is beautiful with the changing leaves and the fashion simply screams fall. I mean that Harvard sweatshirt over a button up and Rory’s very 2000’s sweater around the waist look easily makes the season clear.

“Let the Games Begin” (Season 3, Episode 8)

There is something about Ivy league schools that just beg to be seen in fall. When Richard tricks Rory into coming to Yale and interviewing with an admissions counselor the stench of anger is almost overpowered by the crisp smell of fall in the air. Almost. After all Lorelai is not someone who lets things go quickly. *cough* Rory later dropping out of Yale *cough*

“Ted Koppel’s Big Night Out” (Season 4, Episode 9)

Can we just pause for a minute and talk about Emily Gilmore wearing a sweatshirt and a visor?! Ok thanks. Anyway Rory and Lorelai join Richard and Emily to “tailgate” (Have you ever tailgated with a maid and an unlimited supply of vodka?!) for the Harvard/Yale game and it is essentially the dictionary definition of a fall activity. There’s football, food, and plenty of fall attire to go around.

“You Jump, I Jump, Jack” (Season 5, Episode 7)

I’ve never been one for camping or jumping off of tall objects but if it must be done this is the way to do it, amirite?! When Logan kidnaps Rory and takes her to a Life and Death Brigade event fall is basically exploding all over the screen. The red and orange leaves, the beautiful — and seasonally appropriate — clothes, and rustic campfires make the episode good. (The jumping off of a platform in ball gowns and tuxes with umbrellas is what makes the episode great, but that’s neither here nor there.)

“Welcome to the Dollhouse” (Season 6, Episode 6)

When Taylor takes it upon himself to rename every street in town Lorelai and the rest of the Dragonfly Inn staff run all over town to try and change their new street name (Sores and Boils Alley is such a bummer). The scenery is what makes this an ideal fall episode: the pumpkins, fallen leaves, and omg Michel’s suede coat.

“Hay Bale Maze” (Season 7, Episode 18)

Listen, I know the hay bale maze was made for the Spring Fling Festival, but hay simply equals fall. Hay rides! Pumpkin patches! These are all fall things! Anyway…Logan visits Stars Hollow for the first time and it’s so perfect. Rory and Logan have a great talk and decide that they are going to factor each other into their futures. We won’t talk about how the picture above is a metaphor for how Logan and Rory are heading in two different directions and basically foreshadows the fact that Rory turns down Logan’s proposal after he planned out their entire life in California!! I’m still not over it if that wasn’t clear.

Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.