This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Everyone knows the fall signifies that it is time to go to the cider mill, pick pumpkins, have movie days, and indulge in apple and pumpkin flavored treats. When you have a boyfriend/girlfriend during this time, basically they are obligated to do these things with you. So, what are you supposed to do when your significant other is not around? Speaking from experience, spending two fall seasons away from my boyfriend, here is a comprehensive list on how to survive this time in your long distance relationship.

1. Do fall activities with your friends.

Just because your S.O. isn’t around to have a fall adventure with doesn’t mean you should miss out on the fun! First of all, they will understand and should be partaking in their own fall activities as well. Grab a friend or a group and head to the cider mill, carve pumpkins, and watch Hocus Pocus.

2. Utilize FaceTime.

Speaking from experience, as my boyfriend and I have been long distance for a little over 2 years, FaceTime is essential. Whether it is just for a minute before class, for an hour before bed, or for 3+ hours doing homework, seeing your S.O. (at least on your screen) will make the fall seem less lonely.

3. Schedule a Skype date.

Dying to watch Halloweentown or Nightmare on Elm Street with your boo? Set up a Skype date! You can either each start the movie simultaneously or have one person play the movie with their camera directed towards the screen. Sadly you can’t share popcorn, but you can still talk and laugh about the movie together, which is honestly the best part.

4. Send something in the mail.

Our everyday lives are consumed by social media and texting, so why not switch it up and send something to your S.O. in the mail? Whether it’s a letter, a card, or a package filled with those pumpkin or apple treats the fall demands, you are sure to make him/her feel special and loved.  

5. Visit.

Of course, if you can, visiting is always the best option. Whether it requires returning home or visiting somewhere else, that long drive or plane ride is always worth it. Even though you will have the cram everything related to fall in one weekend, actually being with your S.O. is the important part. But, if you do not have the means to visit, following tips 1-4 will help you survive the fall season without your other half.