photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Tips for Staying Warm in the Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

When this time of the year rolls around, we get so excited about cozying up watching  movies and baking yummy holiday treats, but we forget how chilly it is when we step outside! Growing up in New England, I know firsthand how bitter the weather can get. I have definitely taken note of the ways in which I stay warm as the colder months come around, and hopefully you can try them too!

Invest in a Quality Winter Coat

This might seem like a no brainer, but trust me – even as someone who is used to winter weather, I have spent days and weeks walking around in a lack-luster jacket that offered me no warmth in the frigid air. You can find some really nice quality coats at various outlets, as well as stores online. I personally like the ones that go down to my knees and zip all the way up because they keep me super toasty!

Wear Scarves and Accessorize

This is a perfect opportunity to look cute in this weather while still staying warm! I love adding a scarf to my outfit because it fights against the cold and the wind, but also adds a little flare to what I’m wearing. I would also suggest accessorizing with hats, ear muffs, and gloves. Anything you can find to add to what you’re already wearing is going to make a world of a difference. I love those cute beanies with the puffs on top, and they keep me cozy too!

Layers and Layers

It can be tricky to decide what to put on in the morning when it is so cold out. Especially when your classroom or work space is likely not as frigid as it is outside. So, I have learned that layering is key in the chillier months. If you put on a blouse and add a cardigan or sweater over top, you can always take it off. This way you can keep yourself bundled up when your outside, but keep it simple once you get indoors. Plus, on top of this, you can add that new winter coat.

Boots and Socks

One of my favorite parts about the colder weather is getting to put on some cute booties and comfy socks. This will help to keep your feet warm, as well as add a little something to your outfit. As far as boots, I personally love duck boots or any kind of short bootie. And for socks, whether you like cable knit or fuzzy, either type looks cute and really comes in handy when the temperature drops. 

Make Some Tea and Relax

At the end of a long day, after walking around in the frigid fall or winter air, you need something to get comfortable and unwind. Making a cup of tea and maybe putting on a good movie or T.V. show is one of my favorite ways to bring myself back to life after freezing outside during the day. If you don’t prefer tea, find some time to make your favorite warm drink.

These are just a few ideas on how you can prevent those unbearable walks home in the colder weather. Feel free to try out the different tricks, and find what works for you! I hope you can put some of these tips to good use as the temperature begins to drop, and also find your own ways of keeping warm. Stay cozy!

Hi there! My name is Hailee, and I am currently a student at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. I hope you like my page!
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.