5 Reasons To See American Ballet Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

When you live in New York City you are constantly surrounded by the arts. From the paintings at The Met to the bright lights of Broadway stages, you have access to so many cultural experiences right at your fingertips. If you’re anything like me, you have an endless list of how many places you’ve been or how many shows you want to see in an attempt to take advantage of all the city has to offer. For me, going to see American Ballet Theatre is always at the top of that list.

Full of splendor and enchantment, going to see a ballet performed by American Ballet Theatre is an experience unlike any other. Since it was established in 1940, ABT has become one of the most prominent ballet companies both nationally and globally, performing everything from classic story ballets to new contemporary works.    

If you are in New York City and haven’t seen ABT yet, you are really missing out on an incredible opportunity. To convince you even further, here are five reasons why you should check out American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Season at the Metropolitan Opera House:

1. $20 Tickets

Ballet has a reputation for being an expensive art, but American Ballet Theatre has pretty reasonable deals for audience members with limited funds but a passion for performances. These seats usually are pretty high up, but you will get a great view of the theater, will be able to appreciate the architecture of the perfectly in synch corps de ballet, and experience some pretty great sound from the orchestra. If you do want to be closer to the stage, you can always student rush tickets the day of the performance when the box office opens as well.   

2. Lincoln Center

Going to Lincoln Center is always a good excuse to get dressed up. ABT performs at the Metropolitan Opera House right in the middle of Lincoln Center during its seasons in NYC which gives a good enough reason in itself to put on your favorite outfit and treat yourself to an elegant night out on the town. Just being surrounded by the iconic architecture and all of the artistic vibes bouncing around from the theaters and people alike will get you in the mood for some ballet, trust me.

3. The Repertoire

American Ballet Theatre always does a great mix of classical and contemporary works and its 2016 Summer Season is no exception. Featuring iconic story ballets like Sylvia, The Sleeping Beauty, Le Corsaire, and Swan Lake along with programs like Ratmansky’s Triple Bill that include a world premiere piece, Serenade after Plato’s Symposium, there are so many options for audiences to explore the capacity of ballet technique.

4. The Production

As one of the most accomplished companies in the world performing at one of the most beautiful theaters in the world, it is no surprise that American Ballet Theatre spares no expense when it comes to the costumes, sets, and technical elements of the show. Once you are in your seat, you will be transported into an entirely different world; who doesn’t need a little break from the hustle and bustle of NYC?

5.  The Experience

Going to see a ballet is a completely unique experience. It is an entirely different world with beautiful colors, movement, and music. Because there are no words, you are able to use your imagination in a way that is completely individual and encompasses all of the different elements of the production. The dancers at American Ballet Theatre are some of the greatest in the world and their ability to convey a character, an emotion, or a movement is riveting and infatuating. Obviously the dancing is amazing but even if you’re new to the whole ballet scene, go check out American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Summer Season and let yourself be enchanted and inspired for a night.

Communication Arts and Dance student in NYC. Interests include the arts, The Office, and anything with sprinkles. 
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside