This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Shopping for natural hair products can be tricky and quite expensive. Luckily, I am going to give you a rundown of my favorite products that don’t break the bank and can be found at your local drug store or convenience stores such as Walmart and Target.

1. Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo

Cantu Beauty is the holy grail for naturally curly hair. It is known for being sulfate, silicone, paraben, and mineral oil-free. Some may ask why having these four penetrative ingredients are not good for your hair, well here is why: sulfates are unique because they attract both oil and water, allowing for a shampoo with this ingredient to wash away the dirt and grime collected over the days. However, the downside is that it also strips away natural hair oils causing it to become dry and brittle over time. But don’t worry! I will mention two products later on that will help restore your natural oils. 

2. Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner

A conditioners job is to add moisture back into the hair after being stripped of dirt and debris from the shampoo. Something interesting about this particular conditioner is that it’s hydrating based, so it falls under the cleansing category. 

*Fun fact: There are three main types of conditioner: leave-in (do not wash out), cleansing (co-wash with shampoo), and deep (hair mask). 

3. Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream

This is what gives my hair ‘screwdriver curls’ and what I use to make my barber think I twist each piece of hair to curl. Nope! I just rub this cream all over when my hair is wet and let it do its magic. For those of you who are looking for a product that separates the curls without a greasy residue, this is perfect for you. 

4. Blue Magic Conditioner Hair Dress

A hair dress is more popularly known as hair grease. Hair grease is typically used in the African American population as a way to add shine and soften dry hair. It’s a thick consistency and has a distinctive smell, which I love. Although grease is indeed too heavy for a majority of people’s hair, it works on coarse, curly hair the best and ultimately helps eliminate frizziness.

5. ACE Comb

My final favorite is an accessory but it’s just as important as the other hair products – a comb. A comb might be basic, but for natural hair, we rely heavily on it during washes. The teeth on this comb are extremely close which allows for my small short curls to fit right through and the size of the comb itself is small, so it fits in my hand perfectly.

I hope that this list of my top “5 Hair Products That I Swear By” finds its way onto your mobile device screen, or wherever you may be reading this. Shopping for natural hair products can be tricky, but with this easy list, I hope to have eased your stress.

Hey there! My name is Paige, and I’m a sophomore studying Fashion Marketing in Manhattan. My guilty pleasures are Insomnia snickerdoodle cookies and brown sugar pop-tarts. During my free time I enjoy sightseeing, photography and shopping! I’m excited to start my journey at Her Campus because I have a chance to share with others what’s on my mind, and support other boss babe females.