danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Reasons Why You Should Never Lie On A Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Searching for a job can be tough. Especially when you live in New York City, where the competition is fierce!  We all want that leg up on anyone else who might be vying for the same job as us.  Did you know that over 53% of job seekers have admitted to or have been caught lying on a resume? Sure, it may seem like a somewhat good idea at the time but in the end it’s only going to hurt you.

1. First of all you could look ridiculous! How would you feel if you wrote “fluent in Swahili” on your resume only to find out so is your interviewer and he wants to finish the interview in his native tongue? Remember when Joey from Friends told the casting director he was trained in tap and obviously wasn’t! Yeah, it didn’t turn out so well for him and it won’t for you either. 
  2. You waste everyones time! Time is of the essence and nobody gets essence back. When you lie about skills you have you’re wasting time that job employers could be looking at someone else more qualified. You’re also wasting your time if the skill you lied about is essential to the job. 
  3. You could not only risk being caught but also risk your interviewer telling other companies which would make it very hard to find a job later on. 
  4. Lastly, why lie? By lying you’re pretending to be somebody you’re not. You’re awesome just the way you are! Why would you ever want to change that?

Brittanie Glumm, 20,Sophomore at Marymount Manhattan majoring in Communication Arts with minors in Journalism and Fashion Studies.
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside