21 Necessary Fashion Items to Nail ‘Adulting’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

I have this image that my life will drastically change once I blow out those candles. Turning 21 years old, as scary as it may seem is also pretty amazing because it marks the day you are officially an adult. Just because I’m going to be an ‘adult’, it doesn’t mean my closet is going to have to do a huge overturn. Fashion is a creative outlet and it doesn’t have to get boring or mundane as you get older.

Sorting through the clothes and shoes in my closet had me feeling some major separation anxiety. What if this comes back into trend in a few months? I’m sure I’ll find a way to wear these pieces, right? Wrong! 

Focus on essential pieces, once you have those you can customize your look with trendier items to fit your personal style. Below is a list of 21 fashion pieces everyone should be taking into adulthood… trust me it will make getting dressed in the morning so much easier. These items are for the colder climates but can also be used throughout the year. One less thing to worry about as an adult! #wegotthis #winningatadulthood

1.) Leather Jacket: Pop a leather jacket on and your outfit will look instantly cooler. Also, it looks like you put effort and thought into your outfit when honestly it took two seconds to put on.

2.) Denim Jacket: A denim jacket can be used year round and is super versatile. I personally like a jacket with an oversized fit and possibly some rips to give it more of an edge. 

3.) Neutral Coat: A muted color coat like black, grey, navy or camel is a staple for the fall and winter time. It is important to have a coat that can go with multiple outfits and be appropriate for different occasions.

4.) Burst of Color Coat: If you have a neutral coat…now it is time to have some fun. Go crazy with a pop of color or even pattered coat!

5.) Dressy Pants: Get a multi-use dressy trouser; one that can be worn to interviews or work but can also be used on a day to day basis if dressed down.

6.) Dark Denim: A good fitting pair of denim jeans is essential. With a darker wash you can get away with wearing them in a professional setting. Tip: to conserve the pigment wash the jeans inside out.

7.) Joggers: Lets be real, no one wants to wear jeans everyday. These are a good alternative to leggings because they are thicker and will keep you warmer.

8.) Chambray: There are countless ways to wear a chambray, on its own or as a layering piece. Whether it is a dark or light wash shirt, you can’t go wrong with either.

9.) Stripy Top: I truly believe you can never have too may stripy tops. Horizontal, vertical, navy and white or black and white stripes, they all work.

10.) Work Top: A neutral colored work top that is a satin or silk material can dress up any outfits. Accessorizing can also make a huge difference, pair wisely. 

11.) Turtleneck: When the temperatures start getting low, having a cozy turtleneck that will keep all of you warm is key.

12.) Hoodie: A hoodie is great for those lazy days when you want to take a break from adulting. But that does not mean you still can’t look put together, add a leather jacket.

13.) Fun Sweater: During the winter wearing sweaters everyday is the norm. Choose one that is a bright color or one with a print or even details like zippers or lace. By having a sweater that isn’t like the rest, it’ll make wearing one day after day less daunting.

14.) Flats: Whether it is a pair of black flats or pop of color flat, these are good running around shoes that will also make you look presentable.

15.) Black Ankle Boots: Black booties are the most basic yet functional and practical shoes to have in your wardrobe. They go with literally everything!

16.) Sneakers: Nobody wants to be in painful shoes all day so having a comfortable pair of sneakers to change into is major!

17.) Big Bag: A big bag means having endless space to put unnecessary stuff in…because honestly who doesn’t do that. Getting one that has pockets and zippered compartments can help with keeping things organized.

18.) Chunky Scarf: The bigger and chunkier the scarf, the better. Not only will it keep you warm but it is also a good way to accessorize. Play with color and print to make it fit your aesthetic. 

19. ) Dainty Jewelry- Rings: The daintier the rings the more you can accessorize. Note: Stacking rings on multiple fingers is a must!

20.) Dainty Jewelry- Necklace: This also applies to necklaces, layering between long and short chains can pull together a simple outfit.

21.) Watch: As you get older there will be more responsibilities you’ll face. There is nothing worse than being late…unless it is fashionably late…no but really get a watch.

It doesn’t matter if you are approaching adulthood or are already an adult, these items are staples that will be useful for years to come. Let’s be real, you probably already have a few of these items in your closet. If you don’t…what are you waiting for? Get shopping!