This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The 91st Academy Awards Ceremony was held on Sunday, February 24 and made history for more than just being without a host since 1989. Although, many viewers are saying they did not miss having one.

Spike Lee and his favorite team, the New York Knicks won big, with the team beating the San Antonio Spurs and Spike Lee winning his first Oscar for best-adapted screenplay for the film ‘BlacKKlansman’. Olivia Colman of ‘The Favourite’ surprisingly snubbed seven-time nominee Glenn Close for Best Actress, but not without expressing her admiration for the fellow actress in her acceptance speech. Keegan-Michael Key parachuted down the Dolby Theatre a la Mary Poppins. Typical Oscar events.

The one thing I can always count on every year, no matter the Oscar drama, is the fabulous and dare I say, iconic, red carpet looks. This year did not disappoint in terms of style, flair, and a little disappointment.

Best Red Carpet Looks

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga’s presence at the Oscars was iconic for many reasons, only one of them being the Alexander McQueen gown and the $30 million Tiffany necklace she was sporting. Accessory experts flipped when they saw Gaga, the third person to ever wear the diamond publicly, arrive on the red carpet wearing the iconic American jewel. However, if you truly want to be blown away, watch her live performance of “Shallow” with Bradley Cooper.

Billy Porter

I am not being dramatic when I say that Billy Porter absolutely slayed my existence when I saw him arrive on the red carpet wearing this Christian Siriano tuxedo dress. Sleek, elegant, superb, and iconic are only a few of the adjectives that come to mind when trying to describe this look. If you don’t trust me, just look up Glenn Close’s reaction to seeing him in person.

Elsie Fisher

I may be biased with my love and adoration for Bo Burnham’s movie ‘Eighth Grade’, which was snubbed in my opinion for not receiving a single nomination at the Oscars this year, but Elsie Fisher was serving a sleek look in her Thom Browne suit. Fisher arrived on the scene as an award presenter, but if you really want to see this star shine, check out her performance as shy middle schooler Kayla in ‘Eighth Grade’.

Regina King

Regina King took home The Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ and looked absolutely stunning in a simple white Oscar de la Renta. She radiated such grace that Chris Evans took it upon himself to escort her upstage for her award acceptance.

Worst Red Carpet Looks

Sarah Paulson

Although I stan an American Horror Story queen, I was not impressed with Sarah Paulson’s  Brandon Maxwell gown. This look resembles more of a scrunchie than an Oscar-worthy gown. Paulson has such a classic beauty that her red carpet looks should reflect, not distract from. The only pink scrunchie that belonged on the red carpet was worn by Jason Momoa.

Linda Cardellini

The Green Book actress seemed to have been in the same boat as Sarah Paulson, with an outrageously over the top pink gown doing neither of them any favors. Cardellini’s talent and beauty speak for itself, her gowns should not be trying so hard. While Paulson resembles a scrunchie, Cardellini looks like an eight-year-old’s tutu came to life and swallowed her.

Rachel Weisz

‘The Favourite’ actress arrived at the red carpet wearing a two-piece latex Givenchy gown. While some fans dubbed the look bold and modern, to others it looked like a gown with a top you’d wear to a club thrown over it. I think the two pieces that both look great don’t necessarily work together. Actually…. The more I look at this look the more I’m loving it.

Notable Mention

Melissa McCarthy and Brian Tyree Henry

Although this look was not their actual red carpet looks, I laughed out loud when McCarthy and Henry arrived on stage to present the award for Best Costume Design. Their eccentric costumes reflected elements from all of the movies nominated in the category. McCarthy conceptualized the idea of the bunny cloak herself and then worked with costume designer Katja Cahill to make it happen. Although McCarthy didn’t take home an Oscar, this appearance will not soon be forgotten.

While The Oscars seem to fluctuate every year in terms of nominees, drama, and hosts – or lack thereof – the red carpet looks are something I look forward to and will continue to have opinions on, even as I sit on my couch in sweatpants ever year.

Madeline Nortz is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College after transferring from Tarrant County College in Texas. She is a Strategic Communications Major with a minor in Digital Journalism. She is passionate about social media and feminism and loves theatre, pasta, literature, traveling, and trivia. She hopes to one day publish a novel.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com