yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

12 Fall Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

With the arrival of a new season come new style and fashion trends. There are so many wonderful things that come with the fall season, the crisp air, beautifully colored leaves, and all the pumpkin and apple flavored treats, but the most exciting part of the fall is the fashion. This season it’s all about adding cozy touches to your outfits, and layering bold and geometric prints. Here are 12 easy-to-wear must haves to spice up your wardrobe this fall.

1) A Big Floppy Hat (Photo Credit: Ashley Webb)This seems to be the go to accessory for girls this fall, pair it with a big pair of sunglasses and earrings, throw on a Faux fur vest (we don’t want to hurt any animals with this look), channel your inner hippie and flash a peace sign.  Just like that accessories can make a regular outfit look boho chic. 

2) Printed Slip-On Sneakers

(Photo Credit: Coutureaholic)Slip on sneakers are making a comeback. Pick up a pair of leopard print slip-ons and rock them as you hit the streets of NYC. Don’t be afraid to mix it with other patterns.  Now is the time to liven up your wardrobe!

3) Plum-Colored Make Up (Photo Credit: Flickr)With the coming of fall comes the darker colors in hair, makeup, and nails.  Now is the time to pick up some tubes of red and plum colored lipsticks, Ruby woo and Rebel are some favorites from Mac.  It’s also the time of year to switch your eye shadow palette to the violet and olive colored shadows.

4) Fitted Leather Jacket

(Photo Credit: Flickr)A fitted leather jacket is a must! It will never go out of style, and you can pair it up with almost anything. Mix it up with some different scarves and that leather jacket last for years! If you don’t already own one make an investment and splurge a little.  Buy yourself a nice fitted leather jacket and I promise you won’t regret it!

5) Chunky Jewelry (Photo Credit: Mer ẚ ẛ autre)This fall its seems the motto is the more the merrier and the bigger the better… at least with jewelry, pile on a whole bunch a necklaces to create the rocker chick Kylie Jenner inspired look or pile on the rings and bracelets.

6) Poncho/Cape (Photo Credit: Asos)Many might think a poncho is soooo out but you are soooo wrong.  Ponchos are this falls latest cover up.  That’s right the poncho is back people! Celebrities like Cara Delavigne and Olivia Palermo have been spotted all wrapped up in a poncho.  Pair it with knee high suede boots and a big floppy hat and you’ve got a cover girl look

7) Plaid (Photo Credit: SheFinds.com)Plaid was seen all over the runway this season and it’s a pattern that never seems to be out of style.  This season checkered plaid seems to be the designer’s favorite and it’s a pattern you can wear as a jacket, shirt, skirt and even pants.  Pair it with a solid topic or dress it up with some metallic or fur.

8) Leather Pants / Leggings (Photo Credit: Maria Morri)Leather pants or leggings can add just the right touch to an outfit, it can turn a daytime outfit into an evening look, and it adds a rocker vibe to your look.  For a casual look, pair them with some sneakers, a blazer over a plain white tee, and throw a fun scarf around your neck.  For a more edgy look pair them with a black stiletto heel a printed blouse and a vest.  And don’t just stick to the black leather pants mix it up with red/burgundy leather pants.

9) Big, Chunky Sweaters

(Photo Credit: Barbro Anderson)Its sweater weather, many of us fall lovers have been waiting all summer long to be able to put on a big comfy sweater and the time has finally come! Big chunky sweaters are a must for the fall you can pair it with anything jeans and sneakers, leggings and boots, even wear a sweater dress with knee high socks.  Big sweaters are like the universal article of clothing when in doubt throw on a sweater!

10) Fancy Pants

(Photo Credit: Flickr)Fall is the perfect season for pants, try on all types of fits in all different colors and patterns and see which one you like best.  If you can’t decide on two different patterns try the two faced pant that feature a different pattern on each leg.

11) Ankle Boots

(Photo Credit: Meagan Tintari)You can never have enough shoes! Ankle boots were big in the spring and summer and they are here to stay for the fall!  Pair your favorite ankle boot with skinny jeans or with a long boho skirt and a chunky jacket and your good to go!

12) Vests

(Photo Credit: Meagan Tintari)Vests are a cute way to dress up an outfit, pair them with printed pants or wear a jean vest over a plain white/black tee, or wear a vest as a shirt for an edgier look.  

Writing has always been my passion. I am Netflix addict, a dog lover, and I'm a native New Yorker. I have had editorial internships and I like to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself.
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside