The 10 Best Soundtrack Moments From ‘Pretty Little Liars’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Pretty Little Liars is known for many things. Murders (lots of them), bold topic choices, fashion, and the mystery that has kept a generation of teens thoroughly mystified—who the hell is A. But, it doesn’t get much recognition for its stellar soundtrack—which has been masterfully curated to compliment the story. In a recent interview, the show’s creator I. Marlene King addresses what makes the PLL soundtrack different from most others. “We absolutely wanted the music to be female-centric and female-driven; that was our guideline”. And that’s exactly what they did with ballads from artists like The Civil Wars, Ingrid Michaelson, and MS MR. What the show does so well is place tracks perfectly alongside plot points, as if the song were made for them. Dozens of soundtrack moments stand out, but narrowed down to just 10, you have the prettiest little playlist.

10. “Begin Again” by Rachel Platten serenaded the Liars as they re-entered Rosewood High with their queen back on her throne. This song is cautiously triumphant as it also conveys the weariness of the Liars as they step back into their old lives.

9. “Every Breath You Take” by Denmark + Winter is a darker rendition of the classic by “The Police” and it couldn’t be better. It’s wispy melody and vocalized beat make this version a chilling addition to PLL. Not to mention lyrics like, “I’ll be watching you” are given a very literal meaning in the context of Rosewood.

8. “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” by Denmark + Winter was the creepy lullaby that put dear Mona to rest in the trunk of A’s car. A music box melody runs through this song that really brings the whole doll motif home as Mona’s paralyzed body becomes the first of A’s dolls to head towards the dollhouse.

7. “Everything is Lost” by Maggie Eckford plays as the ruling is read that sends Alison to prison in Season 5. The title of the track says it all and so do the looks on our Liars faces as it seems like A has won the war. The lyrics feel like they could have come out of Ali’s mouth at that moment. 

6. “In Too Deep” by The Sweeplings is eerie yet beautiful—just like everything about this show. The Sweeplings sang us into Haleb bliss with this song that played in Season 7 when Hanna and Caleb finally admitted they still loved each other. 

4. “Ring of Fire” covered by Lera Lynn. Kissing seems like the opportune time for great music. Though the Spaleb thing felt like a weird blip to make us feel like the original ships weren’t guaranteed, this is perhaps one of the hottest PLL scenes mostly because of this sultry tune. Who knew a Johnny Cash song could be revived and made so sexy?

3. “Don’t Fence Me In” by Sammy Kaye and Billy Williams. PLL did oldies better than anyone else by making their young audience hear these unfamiliar, upbeat melodies as something truly terrifying. At this moment from the Season 5 finale, the Liars + Mona realize how truly trapped they are in A’s dollhouse as they’re greeted by a tall electric fence and this little diddy. And now there’s a whole generation of people who are scared of music from the 1950s.

2. “Hands of Time” by Rachel Diggs. This moment from the pilot is perhaps the most iconic in PLL history. The song says “you can’t turn back the hands of time” even though the girls deeply wish they could—throwback to the Jenna thing, anyone? Instead, they spend the next 7 seasons lying to cover it up. This is where our Liars got their name. They receive their first A group text… and cue music.

1. “Suggestions” by Orelia Has Orchestra was so good, they used it twice. Once in the pilot when Ali’s body is found and again in the Season 2 finale when they find Maya’s body. The telltale sign of a strong soundtrack is one that tells the story before it’s told if you listen close enough. Most PLL fans will recognize this from the first few wind chime-like notes and immediately know another murder mystery is on its way to Rosewood.

If you’re looking to relive even more memorable soundtrack moments from Pretty Little Liars, check out this Spotify playlist for a complete list of music from the pilot to the series finale. With an endless supply of songs that are dreamy, dark, and steeped in girl power, you’ll be listening long after the end of the series. Just make sure to mind your roommate while you’re jamming out.

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli