This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Stuck indoors due to the bitter cold and ongoing pandemic, winter break finally allowed for me to cuddle up and catch up on my reading. There is nothing cozier than a cup of tea and a good book on a dark winter evening. I compiled a list of all the books I read over break and love. Here are five books that you absolutely must-read.

Normal People

Not only a New York Times Bestseller but now an Emmy-nominated Hulu original series, Sally Rooney’s Normal People tells the story of young love, friendship and the evolution of our relationships over time. It tells the story of Marianne and Connell through their first conversation to their later years in college. Although painfully different, they simply cannot stay apart. 

I highlighted over half this book as I am reminded of the complicated relationships we face of those from our past and those we form in college. 

Where the Crawdads Sing

In Delia Owens’ debut novel, Where the Crawdads Sing, you follow the story of Kya Clark, the wild and outcast “Marsh Girl” from a small fishing village. This coming-of-age story was one of the most beautifully written books I’ve read. It shows how our inner child stays with us and how deeply we all wish to be loved and accepted.

Daisy Jones & the Six

This incredible and intoxicating read follows a 1970s rock band and their journey to fame. Taylor Jenkins Reid, the author, writes from each character’s perspective, making you feel like you know them personally. This book creates a shocking atmosphere filled with love, lust, addiction and heartbreak. Reid did an amazing job writing the song lyrics in the novel; it gave a deeper layer to the characters and scenarios surrounding each song.  

My Body

Emily Ratajkowski’s fascinating memoir unpacks the scrutiny and accomplishments of her body. The book emphasizes how women view their bodies in all aspects of their life. Through essays about power, the male gaze, female relationships and motherhood, Ratajkowski helps us redefine how we view our bodies.

The Wife Upstairs

Rachel Hawkins’ novel, The Wife Upstairs, has been on my reading list for months. This modern retelling of Jane Eyre is a fast-paced thriller filled with twists and turns. It allows you to see three different perspectives of a murder story. I was hooked from the very first page and never knew what to expect. 

Kate Lickert

Mizzou '23

Hello! I'm Kate Lickert and I am a Junior at the University of Missouri. I am a Strategic Communications Major within the school of journalism. I am a current writer for EMI Network, HerCampus Mizzou, and Mizzou Tri Delta's blog. This past summer I was a writer for Vox Magazine based in Columbia, Mo. After graduation, I plan on pursuing a career in marketing, branding, development, or design.