This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Let’s talk about the B word. Botox.  

Whenever I hear the word Botox my mind immediately goes to the stepmom from the Cinderella Story, I simply cannot help it. But the truth is that so many more people are getting it than we think, even people our age! Considering the fact that Botox used to be absolutely taboo, the filler industry is skyrocketing. 

What even IS Botox? 

Medical News Today defines Botox as, “A protein made from Botulinum toxin, which the bacterium Clostridium botulinum produces. This is the same toxin that causes botulism. Botox is a toxin, but when doctors use it correctly and in small doses, it can have benefits. It has both cosmetic and medical uses.” 

What can Botox do? 

I mean… What can’t Botox do?

Cosmetic uses:

• Reduces wrinkles between the eyebrows i.e frown lines
  • Reduces crows feet
  • Horizontal creases in the forehead 
  • Those little lines around your lips

Medical uses:

• Crossed eyes in children over 12
  • Pit stains! i.e. hyperhidrosis
  • Migraine prevention 
  • Eyelid spasms
  • Cervical dystonia, which affects the head and causes neck pain

These are only the FDA approved uses, however, many people have used Botox for so much more! Conditions like psoriasis and alopecia have also been treated with Botox. 

Now, for the big question, what is baby Botox and WHY can I not stop dreaming about it?

Contrary to the name, newborns are not getting Botox. It’s actually for 20-25 year olds who want to prevent wrinkles in the future or to prevent them from getting worse. Personally, I struggle with a few stubborn horizontal lines on my forehead (sorry expressive people, we’re f’d). The best thing about baby Botox is that since the wrinkles are still minimal, there is less filler involved, which means a cheaper treatment compared to what it would be if the wrinkles were deep and evolved. It lasts 3-12 months, depending on the treatment and most people tend to get touch ups over time (I know, I know, I wish it lasted forever too). The treatment itself varies depending on the targeted area and how many syringes it takes to achieve desired results. 

Let’s talk to baby Botox’s biggest advocate, my friend, Gabriella. 

Where on your face did you get Botox?

Lips and forehead.

Where did you go to get it done? 

Aurora Medical Spa.

How much was it? 

It was $12 a unit and I get five each time!

Did it hurt? 

Minimal to no pain at all! Just little quick pinches.

How long has yours lasted?

It takes two weeks to fully develop then lasts four to six months, personal preference.

Would you recommend it? 

I definitely recommend it for those hesitant to get full on fillers!

Final Thoughts

I’m not here to convince the whole world to get baby Botox, especially since some people are lucky enough to be blessed with perfect, wonderful skin already. However, if you have lines that you can’t stand to see (like me), I totally recommend it. Those lines are going to continue to deepen over time and by getting baby Botox (preventative Botox) you could prevent a higher price/more cosmetic work later on. It’s up to you and your cosmetic professional to decide if it’s right for you. If it isn’t, there are so many other options out there. There’s a million different options such as creams/serums, exfoliating treatments, not moving your face for the rest of your life, hiding from the sun in a cave, retinol, etc! 

BRB, as soon as I graduate and someone wants to pay me, I’ll be first in line to get rid of these forehead wrinkles. 

Megan Volz is a Senior at the University of Missouri. She is double majoring in Communication and Political Science alongside a minor in Textiles/Merchandising. This past summer she enjoyed a PR/Marketing internship for a sustainable fashion label on the warm sunny beaches of Australia....virtually. Anyways, she is so excited about her role as publicity director for Her Campus Mizzou and even more excited that you're actually reading her bio! Feel free to message her on LinkedIn for any inquiries!
Full-time student at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou), working two jobs, running organizations, and striving to be the best woman possible.