This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

I like to think of Winter fashion as an extension of fall fashion with a few more layers. Oh, and more black (the best part). I love the transition from fall to winter because get to wear more jackets and coats, but the sweaters and boots still hang around. As the seasons come and go, so do the trends. With so many trends, it’s tough to pick and choose which ones to purchase that will fit into your wardrobe. I’ve rounded up three must-have items for the winter season that can be worn many different ways and will keep you looking trendy all winter long. 

The Baker Boy Hat

We have been seeing these everywhere. Everyone and anyone that is a blogger or fashion influencer has been seen wearing them as they fill our Instagram feed. I’m not mad about it, though. I love this trend. These hats make the perfect addition to a simple outfit that instantly makes you look chic. You can wear these hats with literally any neutral outfit. The best part about hats is that they can save you on a bad hair day. Forget the shower, throw a baker boy hat on and run out the door. I promise you’ll look like the ultimate “cool girl.”

The Oversized Plaid Blazer

No, I’m not talking about a professional blazer you would wear to an interview. Blazers are making their debut as an everyday clothing item that can be worn in many different ways. See ya, office wear! Blazers, plaid specifically, are the new trendy layering piece everyone needs in their closet. One of my favorite ways to wear a blazer is over a graphic tee with light denim jeans and black booties. To dress up your blazer, pair it with a turtleneck dress and tights for a holiday party look. 

A Statement Coat 

Winter jackets don’t have to be boring! Ditch the classic black jacket this season and get something that stands out. Find something that’s cool and different that can act as the statement in your outfit for those days when you just need to wear a tee and jeans. Some of my favorite statement coats right now are faux fur, cheetah print and plaid. Who said you can’t stay warm and look trendy at the same time?

HC Contributer Mizzou