Hero 2
Hero 2
her campus media

Why you should start putting your pronouns in your bios, even as someone who identifies as cis gender.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We are in a world where gender is becoming less of a genetic concept and more of a social construct. People are finally starting to become more accepting of the LGBTQ+ community and transgender issues are becoming more mainstream it’s our job as allies to help them. A problem that has arisen is misgendering people and one easy way to do reduce this is to put our pronouns in our bios. 

There is no one way to look whether you are cisgender or transgender. By starting to put our pronouns in our bios it makes it safer for others to do that as well. Plus no matter how far along you are as a trans or non-binary person you are what gender you say you are. So by putting pronouns in your bio it helps people from misgendering you and having to repeatedly explain your gender. 

Gender is a social construct, you shouldn’t guess people’s pronouns by the way they look. Cisgender people need to help normalize sharing your pronouns. It sends a message to others that you don’t want to misgender them. It’s a big move for inclusivity to help those in the transgender and non-binary community feel included and seen. It also can reduce the stress on the transgender and non-binary community by reducing the chances they have to explain their gender again. 

Putting your pronouns in your bios, name tags, and email signatures is super easy for you to do, but it can make the world for someone else. 

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.
HC Contributer Mizzou