Why It’s Completely Okay If You Can’t Completely Reject The Fast Fashion Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you’ve been on social media you have probably seen the new movement to reject fast fashion. As much as I love the environment and think that is good to reject fast fashion, it is completely okay if you can’t. 

Fast Fashion creates a lot of waste and mass produces multiple of lines of clothing throughout seasons, but at a low price. Clothing companies that don’t do this are hard to find and out of many people’s price ranges. A simple handmade t-shirt can cost upwards of $80, and the fabric it’s made out of may be unsustainable too. 

Yes, there are plenty of companies out there that work towards sustainability and offer good classic fashion staples, but they are not accessible to everyone.

The point is, that it is almost impossible to be completely free of companies that aren’t harming the environment or taking advantage of their workers. And for people who don’t have extremely expendable incomes, it can be even more impossible. Unless you make all your own clothes, farm your food, and build your own furniture it is very hard to be completely sustainable. 

Some people say they are able to do it, but it can take years to get there and not everyone has the time or money for that. 

A simple solution that most people suggest is thrifting. Thrift shopping can be good for the environment but it comes with issues as well. For someone who isn’t the average size, it can be really hard to find clothes they like at a thrift store that fits them correctly. Plus if you have gone thrift shopping you know that it isn’t a quick stop. For someone that has a super busy schedule, they don’t have time to go to the thrift store and find something that fits them and is appropriate for what they need. 

Most importantly, if you or someone you know does purchase from a fast fashion brand, you don’t need to feel guilty. There are so many aspects that make up your life. And if you can’t reject fast fashion that’s okay you might be a recycling expert or love cleaning up the beaches. Everyone can positively impact the environment in their own way and if you happen to purchase some of your clothing from a fast fashion brand that doesn’t make you a terrible person.

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.
HC Contributer Mizzou