Why I’m Single & Love Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

For all the single ladies like me, it seems almost fashionable to hate Valentine’s Day these days. Just log on to Facebook or Twitter and you’ll be bombarded with angry “Valentine’s Day is just an overrated, manufactured waste of money!” or “I hate seeing all these couples out today – it’s sickening!” messages. Why all the hate? Valentine’s Day is great, even for my fellow singles! Here are a few reasons why…

1. It’s just cute

You have to admit that everything about Valentine’s Day is just adorable. Whenever I see those little cards with Disney characters and corny sayings it brings me back to elementary school when Valentine’s Day was just about exchanging little bits of candy and wearing red and pink (awful color combo, don’t do that now!). Don’t let all the stuffed bunnies and heart-shaped boxes make you bitter,

2. February 15th

The day after Valentine’s Day is the best! All the candy and cute stuffed animals are on sale! Pick up some chocolates and gifts for you and your friends at half off. Single ladies aren’t bound by a certain deadline to buy all these things, so take advantage of all the day after sales and go into a chocolate coma. Why not?

3. Feel the love!

Who says Valentine’s Day has to be all about your romantic relationship? Take some time to tell your BFFs how much they mean to you and spread the love! Have a night with your girls and celebrate just being with each other. Last year my sorority sisters and I ordered Chinese take-out and then headed out to watch The Vow. Good food and Channing Tatum? Perfect. Just make sure that you make dinner reservations and buy your tickets ASAP; they’ll sell out quickly!

4. New movies!

There are always tons of new romantic movies that come out around Valentine’s Day. This year’s blockbuster is Safe Haven, starring Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel. The film is based off the book by Nicholas Sparks, the king of romance novels, so it’s sure to be good! If you’d rather stay in, get your girls together and rent the classics, like Crazy, Stupid, Love, Love Actually, Pride and Prejudice, or the ultimate romance flick, The Notebook. Just be sure to have some tissues ready for that last one.

Valentine’s Day isn’t just for girls with boyfriends. Don’t ignore it or tweet how much you hate it (everyone’s tired of seeing that), just celebrate it in your own way! Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Photo Credits

http://jamiedelaineblog.com/po… – examiner.com – http://blogs.plos.org/speakeas…

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.