Why Girls Like Bad Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You lock eyes from across the room. He flashes a smile at you, and you look away sheepishly. On your way back to his eyes, you notice something out of the corner of your eye. Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome just walked in, shrouded in mystery and a leather jacket with a chain connecting his wallet to his belt loop. He walks right toward you, a little flash of evil in his eyes.

You can’t help yourself, you’re his now.

So what is it about bad boys, and why do we love them so much?

Bad boys ooze confidence and have ridiculously high self-esteem. While it often crosses the line into egotistical and even cocky and can even be “too much,” it’s also really sexy when a man knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to go for it.

They’re also strong, assertive, and since they know what they want, they make it easier for you to just enjoy the ride. They’re indifferent about consequences and rules, which also makes them more exciting to be around for the sheer rush and thrill of possibly getting into trouble.

Another appeal of dating a bad boy is that he’s shrouded in mystery, which is an exciting challenge for any woman.

Also, don’t forget that one of the greatest movies of all time, “10 Things I Hate About You,” had Heath Ledger playing the sexiest and baddest boy of all time; who wouldn’t want to date a bad boy like Patrick?

Mmm, yummy!

During my time with HerCampus, I was a Senior at Mizzou, originally from the Chicagoland area. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphases in Journalism, Film Studies, and Art, and I have a certificate in Multicultural Studies. I am now pursuing an MBA at another university. I like movies, sushi, photography, and Chipotle.   deenakahn.com
HC Contributer Mizzou