Why the Friends Reunion is a Must-Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“Friends” aired for 10 years and during its time, millions of people tuned in to watch a group of six friends explore the ups and downs of life in New York. The show concluded in 2004 and the main cast hasn’t been in the same room together since then. 

The almost two hour reunion special featured the writers of the show, supporting cast members, many celebrity guests and of course the main group of actors. 

Without spoiling too many of the surprises that occur during the episode, so many behind the scenes details were revealed, ranging from how the cast was chosen, to budget constraints and insecurities each of the cast members grappled with during filming. 

Not only do you get the first hand experiences of the writers and cast, but you also learn a lot more about the show that you wouldn’t get if you were just watching the actual show. With such a classic show like “Friends,” a reunion was quite literally a perfect idea and gave the audience closure even years after the finale. 

When watching even the first episode of “Friends,” you can tell the cast had infinite chemistry and love for each other and those emotions are still present to this day. It truly was so beautiful to see that time hasn’t broken those bonds and that some friendships truly stand the test of time. 

Even if you haven’t seen “Friends” and never had intentions of watching it, the reunion will make you want to watch it or prompt you to start rewatching it again. I couldn’t help myself but to start rewatching it, and I noticed so many things I hadn’t the first time. I highly recommend doing this as well if you’re a huge “Friends” fan. 

Just like the finale of the show, the reunion episode ended on such a wonderful note, and James Corden did a fantastic job of asking solid questions and acknowledging the emotions of everyone involved. I can’t lie, I did shed an obscene amount of tears. The way the producers filmed the episode did it justice and I wouldn’t change a thing. 

My only wish is that the reunion was longer, but it still had a solid ending and answered a lot of my questions regarding the show. 

You can find the “Friends” reunion special and all episodes of “Friends” on HBO Max and make for a great addition to your summer watch list! Happy watching!   

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!