Why Eighth Grade was robbed at the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The Oscars are airing tomorrow, and I hope you’ve taken the time to watch a couple of the movies being nominated! For the most part, they’re all absolutely beautiful films, and I’m extremely happy they’re getting recognition. Of course, there are a couple that I’m side-eyeing (looking at you, Green Book). There are a couple more that, though they might have been great films, did not necessarily bring anything new or culturally significant to society in 2018 (looking at you, A Star is Born). 

But, every time I look at the nominations list, I can’t help but get a little irritated that there are a couple movies missing that completely got glossed over this awards season. Annihilation, Collette, If Beale Street Could Talk. And Eighth Grade. 

Eighth Grade was robbed, and I want the Academy to tell me why. 

I suppose I can understand that the Academy wants to stay away from science fiction movies, or that Collette had some flaws, or that Barry Jenkins can’t sweep the floors every time he makes a movie (he should, but whatever). Why, though, did Eighth Grade not even get a nod? 

Green Book got three nominations for Best Original Screenplay. THREE! 

But the thing is: I am pretty sure I know why Eighth Grade got snubbed. 

It’s because the stories of adolescent girls, who provide no lust fodder or glamorous New York City adventures a la Sex and the City, are not important enough to be recognized. The performances of adolescent girls (Elsie Fisher took my heart by storm) are only recognized when they further the plots of others. The experiences of everyday women growing up are not interesting. 

But for the women like me, who watched Eighth Grade and saw themselves within Kayla, Eighth Grade was one of the most important movies ever made. It provided a mirror I wish I’d had when I was actually in eighth grade, and I’m still a teeny tiny bit bitter that the Academy couldn’t see that.

But anyway. Parting thoughts: go see Eighth Grade if you haven’t already, and good luck to Black Panther, The Favourite and Roma. They deserve the world! 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!