Mizzou Columns
Mizzou Columns
Original photo by Jordan Thornsberry

What to Do When Your Family Visits CoMo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

When family comes to visit, it can be hard to make time to plan fun activities to do when you are still dealing with your class schedule. There are some classic places to see, things to do, and restaurants in CoMo that any family is sure to love. Here is a list of activities to do with your family when they come to visit you in college. 

Visit Traditions Plaza and Jesse Hall

Give your family an abbreviated version of a campus tour. Show off the most visually appealing parts of Mizzou that exemplify the beauty of the entire campus. Traditions Plaza is located directly across from Jesse Hall. When you walk to the other side of Jesse Hall, you can get a great view of the columns and the quad. 

Shakespeare’s pizza vs. Pizza Tree

Shakespeare’s Pizza: 225 S. Ninth St.

Pizza Tree: 909 Cherry St.,

Introduce your family to this huge rivalry and let them decide their favorite for themselves. Both are conveniently located downtown so make time to stop for a slice at both pizza places. My sister, Josie Canellis, favors Shakespeare’s Pizza.

“I’ve tried them both [and] Shakespeare’s is the obvious winner,” she said.

Attend a football or basketball game

Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium

Mizzou Arena: One Champions Drive

While your family is visiting, cheer on the Tigers! The football season usually lasts from August to December and the basketball season usually lasts from November to March. You can buy tickets online as a student or buy seats all around each other as a group. 

Dine at The Heidelberg

410 S Ninth St.

The Heidelberg is a CoMo staple. Almost anyone who has visited Mizzou has been to this restaurant. The Berg has been around since 1963, so if you have alumni in your family, they have probably been to eat here before. The Heidelberg has a diverse menu including salads, sandwiches, burgers, wraps and wings. They offer classic college dining that will please anyone and seat just about any size group. They even have a kid’s menu. The Berg is reasonably priced and located very close to campus. 

Grab a sweet treat at Sparky’s

S Ninth St.

Sparky’s, an ice cream shop downtown, is another Mizzou staple. Sparky’s carries an array of creative flavors that are constantly being switched out with new fun options. Some of their unique flavors include honey lavender and mandarin orange dark chocolate. But, they also have some classics like cookies & cream and chocolate. 

It can be hard to pick out the highlights of Columbia because it feels like home. When your family comes try to think of what they like on a day-to-day basis anyway and then show them the Columbia classics.

My name is Julia Canellis. I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri with hopes of attending law school. I am from Chicago, Illinois and I love playing tennis and listening to podcasts in my free time. Email: Juliacanellis10@gmail.com