What to Expect from the “Gilmore Girls” Revival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Netflix finally released a full-length trailer for “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life,” and it is everything we could have hoped for and more. The endless fast-talking, coffee drinking and pop culture references make us feel like no time has passed since we last said goodbye to Stars Hollow’s beloved residents. 

On Nov. 25 Netflix will release four 90-minute episodes, each representing a season of life in Stars Hollow. Based on the new full-length trailer and previous buzz, we have a slight idea of what to expect from the iconic Gilmore duo. That being said, there are certainly more surprises in store. 

Here’s what we can expect so far:

Richard Gilmore’s death will play a significant role

Actor Edward Herrmann passed away in 2014, but show creator Sherman-Palladino certainly will not let his absence go unnoticed. The trailer shows an enormous mural of Richard, along with clips of the Gilmore women at his funeral. While Herrmann’s passing is incredibly sad, the show will most undoubtedly pay homage to him in a respectful manner.

An all-new Emily Gilmore

Emily Gilmore wearing jeans is a sight to be seen. Based on the trailer, it appears Emily has adopted a new laissez-faire attitude about life. Everything that does not bring her joy is out, including her famous “Friday night dinner” dining room chairs. Because Emily and Richard were married for over 50 years, her character’s story arcs will most likely deal with finding her place in life as a single woman. This could bring Emily and Lorelai closer together considering Emily will likely need someone to lean on.

Rory Gilmore trying to find her place in life

“Gilmore Girls” fans have strived to be Rory Gilmore since her early days at Chilton. She has brains, beauty and small-town charm like no other. When she began college at Yale, fans were equally impressed and envious at how seemingly easy her goals became reality. So a little part of us is happy to see perfect Rory Gilmore dealing with normal struggles. That being said, what has Rory been up to since we last saw her leaving to follow Barack Obama’s presidential campaign? While Rory may be jobless now, she is still a Gilmore and will most definitely thrive at whatever she does. 

A happy Luke and Lorelai

Are they married? No clue. Strategic posters have yet to show Lorelai’s left hand, so anything is possible. Rumor is one of the episodes will feature a wedding, but no details have been released as to who the lucky couple will be. Regardless, it is nice to know that Lorelai and Luke have stuck together the past nine years. 

Lane still jamming out

While the current state of Hep Alien is unclear, it doesn’t look like Lane has put down her drumsticks since we last left her. We can only hope the revival will include a family band montage with twins Steve and Kwan. Also, Sherman-Palladino recently announced that the absence of Lane’s father just “never came up” during the show’s original writing, so maybe the revival will finally give us the answers as to Mr. Kim’s whereabouts. 

Town Meetings on Town Meetings

It is comforting to know that Stars Hollow still values town meetings, but is Taylor Doose still the patriarch of the town?  Or has Babette’s husband, Morey, taken over? Either way, the abundance of returning town members will give us all the feels. Babette, Miss Patty, Kirk, Gypsy, Michel, Mrs. Kim, Reverend Skinner, Zack, Gil, Brian, Jackson and the Town Troubadour will all be making comeback appearances, so the town meetings will definitely not lack drama. 

Sookie’s Cooking Mishaps

And don’t forget Sookie St. James. Melissa McCarthy’s return to “Gilmore Girls” made big news earlier this year after stating she had not been invited for the revival. No matter the size of her role, Lorelai and Stars Hollow wouldn’t be the same without our favorite quirky chef. Since we last saw Sookie St. James, McCarthy’s comedic acting career has really taken off, so, hopefully, her scenes will be filled with more comedy than ever before. 

Ex-boyfriends galore: Dean Forester

The extent to each ex’s storyline has been kept under wraps, but all three of Rory’s serious beau’s will be featured in “A Year in the Life.” Rumor is Dean Forester only appears in one scene, but it will still be nice for Rory to catch up with old friends.  Hopefully, he’s moved up in the world from Doose’s Market by now. 

Jess Mariano

According to online polls, a majority of “Gilmore Girls” fans are still pining over Jess’s bad boy attitude and love for literature, which complemented smart and innocent Rory. Jess is the only previous boyfriend to speak in the trailer, which could imply a reunion with Rory.   

Logan Huntzberger

Logan may have only gotten one single second of screen time in the trailer, but man, has he aged well since we last saw him walking away from Rory at graduation. The two never got closure after she declined his marriage proposal, so hopefully the revival will provide fans some answers. Has he moved on and found love with someone else? Is Logan still pining over Rory and what could have been? Are he and Rory back together? One theory is they got married after Season 7 but are now divorced. Another theory claims Logan is the groom in the highly anticipated wedding, but Rory may not be the bride. Only time will tell. 

Only one thing is certain: Nov. 25 cannot come soon enough. Oy with the poodles already!

HC Contributer Mizzou