Under The Gown: The Best Graduation Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s hard to believe, but graduation is seriously almost here! I’m enthusiastic about the end of snooze-fest classes, the completion of time-consuming capstone projects and the endless possibilities for the future. With all the excitement, it’s only necessary to pick out a fabulous dress to wear under that gigantic graduation gown. As soon as the commencement ends, you can shed that oversized garb and flaunt your fantastic dress for the thousands of photos your parents will take. Check out the best dresses for graduation that we found around town and online.

This elegantly tiered dress is perfect for the whimsical, classy girl. At a great price, it’s the ideal pick for a graduation-day outfit. (charlotterusse.com, $36.50)

This cinched-at-the-waist cocktail dress will hug your curves in all the right places. With an exposed silver zipper detailing the back, you’ll be the hippest grad. (Elly’s Couture, $74.99)

This little bargain is the perfect fit for bohemian or sporty chicks. A little ruffle, a little shoulder, and you’ve got a polished grad look. (forever21.com, $14.80)

With a fun and flirty neckline and its deep turquoise color, this dress will make you the focus of every picture taken on graduation day. (JCPenney, $47.99)

Pick a short and sweet dress like this one to show off your personality and keep you comfortable all day. Wear it during the ceremony under your gown, afterward for dinner with the family and even downtown with your friends later in the night. (Macy’s, $148)

To make a statement, pick a bold color such as hot pink. Although everyone will look the same during the ceremony, it’s the pictures afterward that really count. (charlotterusse.com, $34.99)

For a casually cute look, go for a bold and summery print. This lightweight rayon material will make sitting through the long ceremony a bit more tolerable. (forever21.com, $22.80)

It doesn’t get any chicer than this. This cream-colored, rosette-trim dress will give you that sophisticated look that says, ‘I’m a college graduate.’ (Dillard’s, $158)

A little black dress is a staple in every wardrobe, but it also makes the quintessential dress for the big grad day. Keep the accessories simple and add some fabulous colorful shoes to complete the outfit. (Buckle, $42)

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.