Working outside?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working outside?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Top 5 Places to Study Outside at Mizzou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Spring is here, hibernation is officially over. If you are anything like me, you are coming out of your dorm room and trying to spend as much time as possible outside. Mizzou sits on a large and beautiful campus, so it’s essential to find the perfect place to study. Taking advantage of all of the sunlight is usually #1 on my to-do list. I have sat in tons of different locations around Mizzou and have found the absolute best. Here are the top five: 

If you want views: Reynolds Alumni Center patio (123 Reynolds Alumni Center. Columbia, Mo. 65201)

This is in the center of all beautiful buildings on campus. Not only are you facing Jesse Hall, but you are also right next to Traditions Plaza. The Alumni Center is where all of the visitor tours start, so you also get to see eager students touring the university. While you are able to see all of the action because you are sitting in an elevated location, you are secluded in a quiet place. The patio is surrounded by plants and trees to help keep the area shaded and hidden.

If you want resources close by: outside the library facing Speaker’s Circle (1020 Lowry Street. Columbia, Mo. 65201)

Choosing this location to study in comes with a wide range of benefits. Outside of the library there are tons of tables and benches to study at. On the outside, you are also facing Speaker’s Circle and get to witness all of the action that takes place there. On the inside of Ellis, there is a small cafe to grab a bite to eat, as well as all of the books and resources that come with the library. 

If you want silence: Peace Park (401 S 9th St. Columbia, Mo. 65201)

This is definitely the quietest location, unless you count birds chirping and water running. Peace Park is filled with plants, trees and even a stream with a small bridge. There are also plenty of benches to sit and study, or you can bring a picnic blanket and sit in the grass. Peace Park is behind the journalism school and is very close to the downtown area. 

If you want to witness the action: Francis Quadrangle (410 S 6th St. Columbia, Mo. 65211)

Obviously, the quad is a classic. In this location you have Jesse Hall, the journalism school and the columns right around you. You can sit on columns to study or bring a blanket and sit on the grass under a tree. On a bright and sunny day I can guarantee there will be tons of Mizzou students out about. It is common to see people out walking and playing with their dogs and if you are lucky there might even be a Harlan sighting. 

If you have some craving: behind Memorial Union (518 Hitt St. Columbia, Mo. 65201)

Memorial Union holds two prime dining locations: Wheatstone Bistro and Starbucks. Hiding behind Memorial Union are tables and benches for many people to sit, eat and study. This is a great location to grab some food with friends and have a study session.   

My name is Julia Canellis. I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri with hopes of attending law school. I am from Chicago, Illinois and I love playing tennis and listening to podcasts in my free time. Email: Juliacanellis10@gmail.com
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.