Top 10 Best Dressed: the 68th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s a wonderful time in the world of fashion! With New York Fashion Week still fresh in everyone’s minds, the 68th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards showcased what the celebs think of this season’s trends. As an award show junkie with a passion for fashion, seeing what the stars are wearing each time around is almost as exciting as seeing someone fall (sorry Julia Louis-Dreyfus, I guess it was your turn.) In addition to noticing how deserving each winner was of their awards this year, I also noticed bright, vibrant colors to be a theme on the carpet. From sparkles to bright greens to florals, everyone looked happy to be there in what they were wearing. Though I am no professional to the world of fashion, I like to think I have good taste, so here’s my favorite, top 10 ensembles of the night (in no order.)

Kristen Bell

Truly amazing. This Zuhair Murad gown brings in the fall with the beige color but lets a little bit of summer linger with the multitude of florals. Even the way the dress is positioned is amazing. Her hair… perfect. The simplicity of the jewelry… perfect. She even let her Instagram followers know that she taped her nipple to her shoulder in order to complete the look, so basically she is just like us (even though I could never rock this like she can.)

Giuliana Rancic

A lot of people weren’t fans of this look from the Fashion Police alum, but I love it. Giuliana is one of my all-time idols, so I might be a little biased, but I think this Georges Chakra Couture gown does all the right things for her figure. I would’ve liked a more sleek hairstyle for the high-fashion gown, but overall the look is subtle yet detailed. The cape is beautiful and completes the ensemble, along with the slight peek of her shoes through the fabric. I love her and I love this look.

Yara Shahidi

Okay… can we talk about the fact that she is 16 years old? When I was 16, I still thought Uggs were a fashion must. In a Clara Rotescu gown, Yara looks chic as can be. The dress really makes her look older than she is, which is probably what she was going for. The colors are my favorite and look so good on her paired with the minimalistic accessories. As such a young actress with an already incredible sense of fashion, I can’t wait to see what she does in her future red carpets.

Sarah Paulson

With the new season of “American Horror Story” starting up, her win for Actress in a Mini-Series or Movie and her adorable relationship with Holland Taylor, Sarah Paulson is definitely in the public eye, including mine. She absolutely SHINED in this Prada gown, literally and figuratively. Her subtle hair and accessories let the focus be on the dress, where it should be. She would look good in anything, but green might just be her new color. Go you, Sarah, you little emerald.

Laverne Cox

I mean… unreal. This Naeem Khan gold gown is doing the absolute most for her. Her hair looks glorious, her makeup the same and her body even better. She presented an award for Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special, a category Beyoncé was in. Obviously, the possibility of handing Queen B an award is enough to make me cry/die in a hole, but with this fierce look, Laverne’s confidence should have been through the roof.

Emily Ratajkowski

This look just suits her so well. The deep navy Zac Posen gown paired with slick hair and blue eye shadow, though I’m not sure how I feel about it, really shows her modelesque way of making anything look good. Her figure is undeniable due to the dress ruffling and fitting in all the right places, and her obvious style and beauty are unquestionable in this look, down to the way she posed for the photo. Fierce is all I can say.

“Stranger Things” Crew

How could I not include these kiddos? THEY’RE THE CUTEST. Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin and Millie Bobby Brown attended their first Emmys this year and looked like future fashion moguls with Millie’s Valentino dress, personalized bag and sleek hair and the boys in their bow ties and pleated tuxedos. If they look like this at their first Emmys, I can only imagine what they’ll look like next year when they absolutely dominate award shows. Can’t wait to see more of them and this adorable friendship.

Padma Lakshmi

This “Top Chef” host really knows what to wear outside of the kitchen. This look will always be a classic one to me. Though I’m not the biggest fan of sparkle, if I didn’t know what to wear, I would have probably chosen something like this. She just looks so smooth and polished that I couldn’t exclude this from my favorite looks. Without the sparkle, this dress wouldn’t be too special, but the shine really says, “Hey, notice me!” but in a good way, ya know?

Judith Light

How can this woman be 67 years old? The “Transparent” actress rocked this beautiful, beaded gown and wore it better than my 19-year-old self ever could. Though she didn’t win the award for Supporting Actress in a Comedy, which she was nominated for, she is definitely ‘winning’ with this look. The gold and silver metal mixing paired with the amazing face-shaping hair add to her youthful look. If I don’t look like this on the red carpet in 50 years, I’ll be angry to say the least.

Priyanka Chopra

I obviously had to end my favorite looks with this one because I LOVE this. Have you ever seen someone this happy and graceful on the red carpet? Not to mention she is absolutely stunning in this look. She paired the Jason Wu red dress with bright red lips, mirroring the red carpet that she obviously slayed. She told Jimmy Fallon on “The Tonight Show” a few days after the awards that she felt “princessy” in the look, and after her first twirl, she had to keep doing it all night because of how pretty her dress was. Girl, I don’t blame you. Keep on twirlin.’ 

HC Contributer Mizzou