This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Photo source

Every November and December, hands, lips and students are cracking left and right thanks to weather and finals. Here’s how you can, at least, soothe your dry hands even in the coldest of temperatures:

1. Wear mittens. Gloves are great for texting, but would you rather have burning hands or burning messages? When you wear mittens, you trap and maintain heat more efficiently since your fingers are bundled together.

2. On top of that, I always put my hands in my pockets. Again, your phone can wait until you get to class!. Stay warm and in the moment.

3. Use petroleum jelly* (yes, petroleum jelly), otherwise known as Vaseline (or A+D ointment) for ultimate healing and maintenance of soft skin. Since these two substances are very slick, making it difficult to grasp anything, I always rub it onto my hands right before bed, and I wear soft mittens overnight. Another great option is wearing fuzzy socks on your hands. It may look goofy, but it keeps moisture in like no other.

*I have encountered more than one person who is terrified at the thought of using petroleum jelly/Vaseline. It is completely harmless—it is, in fact, good for you! I have not only used it on my hands, but I have used it for eye makeup remover, and I’m still living :)

4. Be wary of various lotions that may have more perfume content than healing content. If your hands are cracked and / or bleeding, always use petroleum jelly or A+D ointment.

5. Make sure you’re getting enough Omega 3 fatty acids! Several types of fish, soybeans and walnuts are just a few foods rich in this essential nutrient. (Supplements are always an option, as well!)

Cheers to the beginning of a soft-handed holiday season!

Hi :) My name is Lizzy Joslyn, and I'm a sophomore studying journalism at Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou