Three Indie Movies to Watch at Ragtag Cinema

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

These first few weeks of school can be stressful, Tigers! Luckily, we’ve got an amazing indie movie theatre right off campus: Ragtag!

If you’ve never been, you’re missing out. It’s got wonderful atmosphere, comfy couches in the theatres, and wine available for purchase if you’re 21. I know. It’s as amazing as it sounds.

It’s got a lot of cool movies running right now, so if you’re tired of studying, pop into Ragtag for two hours and see these interesting films!

Blindspotting

This is an amazing dramedy based around two friends in Oakland, California. It carries themes about police brutality, race relations, the justice system and the precarious nature of friendship. Also, Daveed Diggs (think Hamilton) is absolutely stunning in this movie, as well as his co-star, Rafael Casal.

BlacKkKlansman

This one has similar themes to Blindspotting in certain areas, such as police brutality, race relations and cop/POC relations. This movie is based off the true story of Ron Stallworth, a black detective in the early 1970s who infiltrated the local chapter of the KKK. Directed by Spike Lee, this movie is definitely a must-see, and really, I’d be shocked if you haven’t heard about this one yet!

Three Identical Strangers

Are documentaries more your style? While I have not had a chance to see this yet, this film has gotten nothing but glowing reviews. It charts the journey of triplets who were separated at birth and found each other after attending college. Even if you’re not a documentary fan, like me, I would still recommend giving it a watch. I have a feeling you won’t regret it.

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!