This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Emma Watson can’t seem to win when it comes to feminism.  She uses her celebrity status for good, supporting feminism with her famous speech to the UN, starting He for She and doing a free trade collab with People Tree.  While she is a dedicated human rights activist and humanitarian, she is under constant scrutiny for her words and actions.  Her most recent attacks came after posing for Vanity Fair.  After showing tasteful underboob in a recent edition of Vanity Fair, a British columnist and radio producer named Julia Hartley-Brewer tweeted the following

The backlash continued when CNN asked: “Can you be a feminist and pose in a nearly see-through top for Vanity Fair?”  First of all, why does CNN need to insert their opinion? Secondly, feminism is all about equality, which translates into having the freedom to dress however one pleases without receiving unnecessary, sexist scrutiny.  

Not shockingly, Emma found these allegations absurd and addressed the attacks during an interview with The Telegraph.

“Feminism is about giving women choice,” Emma said.  “Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women.”

She further explained that feminism is about empowerment and individual choice.  “I’m always just quietly stunned,” Emma said, as her co-star, Dan Stevens, interrupted her to ask what people were saying.  “They were saying I couldn’t be a feminist and have boobs.”

Most women are, and should be, feminists.  Most women also have boobs, so this argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  The whole point of feminism is to not be objectified and to be recognized for your achievements and successes rather than your body, so pointing out her outfit choice in a magazine is ridiculous.  David Beckham poses shirtless constantly, and you don’t see anyone throwing a fit or accusing him of not being a serious athlete.  It’s time to stop with the double standards and hypocrisy and build up Emma Watson for all her positive efforts.  

HC Contributer Mizzou