Career > Her20s

These are the post-grad essentials you’ll need 

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Congratulations! You’re about to graduate college. While this is an exciting time, it also comes with a huge life transition. You may be moving to a new city, starting a new job or moving home to figure out your plans until you find your dream job. Whatever you do, these post-grad essentials may make your transition into the “real world” easier… or at least a little more fun. Make sure to add these items to your shopping list, especially with black friday and the holiday season coming up! 

1. Walking Pad

I already struggle with finding time to workout, but at least I can pat myself on the back when I walk across campus to get to my classes all day. Post-grad won’t offer that opportunity, so one of the best ways to exercise while still doing work is getting a walking pad. This is especially great if you have work-from-home days or if you’ve got a desk that you can maneuver into a standing position. You can even add this to your routine if you’re still in college. Suddenly you look at the clock and three hours have passed and you’re still hunched over doing homework – believe me, I’ve been there, so adding a light workout can make a big difference in your day-to-day life.

2.  Work Tote

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had my backpack since my sophomore year of high school. I think it’s time for a change and I’m looking for something a little more sophisticated. One of the best work totes I’ve seen is from Shay Mitchell’s brand Beis. Not only does it look super chic, but it can also hold all of your daily essentials. There are also plenty of dupes on Amazon if the tote isn’t in your budget at the moment. You’ll feel like a corporate baddie in no time with this purchase!

3.  Watch

In my opinion, nothing screams more professional and put together than a watch. You might be a frantic mess the first few months of post-grad, but at least you’ll look like you have it all together. Not only does it add to your outfit, but watches are timeless so you’ll only ever need one. I would recommend a dainty watch to start out. You can splurge and get one you’ll wear forever, or if it’s not in the budget there are plenty of cute watches out there for a lot less! 

4.  Planner

I know every year I say I’m going to get a planner, but this time I really mean it. Planners are a great way to keep track of your busy schedule and will make the transition into post-grad life much easier. There’s a big difference between going to a few classes a day and some extracurriculars in the evening to now working 40-hour weeks, attending networking events, and making time for friends and family. You’ve probably heard of the 5-9 after my 9-5 trend on TikTok. Well, if you’re attending happy hours and making plans, you’ll need something to keep track of it all. Planners also allow you to take time out of your week to sit down and plan out what’s right for you and what you may need to compromise on. You need to block out time to relax and focus on yourself, do a hobby, do chores or do a workout. There’s only so much time in a week so making sure you’re purposefully blocking out time dedicated to you is important. I’ve also heard the argument of using a Google calendar or an app in lieu of a planner, but you’ve probably stared at a computer all day at work finishing tasks and answering emails, so taking some time off a screen can be beneficial. Honestly, I’ll probably be using mine to track my student loan payments so cheer if you’re with me. 

5.  Loafers

Listen, I’ve tried to make high heels work for me but I just can’t stand getting blisters. Women’s professional shoewear is typically impractical and painful. My best tip is to invest in a good pair of loafers. I’ve gotten so many compliments any time I’ve worn my platform loafers to a professional dress event. Not only do they look nice and put together, but they are also comfortable. How am I supposed to focus on my job if all I can focus on is how bad my feet hurt? I can’t! So the best solution I’ve come up with is wearing loafers. 

I hope this list will help you make the journey from college to post-grad a little easier. These are just some of the items I have on my wish list or have already purchased as I prepare for graduation! Honestly, these items can be great if you’re still in college, going to grad school, or if you’re working your first job post-grad. Best of luck to all the graduating seniors out there!

Hi! My name is Addison Fouts and I am a senior here at Mizzou. I'm our social media manager for twitter, threads, and facebook! I'm majoring in journalism but plan to go to law school. I love fashion, makeup, and anything lifestyle. I also love traveling and going to concerts! I'm so excited for you all to read my articles, and for more updates follow me on my socials! LinkedIn: Addison Fouts https://www.linkedin.com/in/addison-fouts-a09a71229/