Style Snapshot: How to Rock the Maxi Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Looking for an alternative to the typical cocktail dress this season? If you haven’t been checking the weather lately, it’s going to be in the 50s this coming week! This week’s style snapshot features the hottest – yet so cool – fashion trend: the maxi dress. Maxi dresses are no longer a celeb’s or socialite’s privilege; they’re versatile, comfortable, and most importantly, wearable! Fear not if you’re petite like me (5’3”). There are tricks to make it work.

Rule 1: Don’t overkill it
Let the dress be the focus. Add a necklace, or show off your sexy shoulders by wearing no jewelry. A maxi dress by itself is a statement piece already; if you really want to flaunt the new necklace or bag you just bought, your best bet is to pair it up with a monotone maxi dress.  Patterned maxi dress? There’s no need to accessorize it.

Belle boutique, Breezy dress, $57

Try to mix and match or transform the maxi/tube dress into a long skirt and pair it with a tank top.

Belle boutique, Teal tank dress, $17.75; strapless belted gather, $19

Rule 2: Know your body type
If you have a slender figure, play around with patterns, volume and texture, such as sheer bottoms (below). For those with fuller figures, be bold with a form-fitting design that reveals your curves and especially accentuates your waist. Feel free to wear whatever colors you desire, but the basics such as black, white and gray elongate your body the best.

The sheer maxi dress is a big hit this year.

forever21.com, Safari Maxi dress, $27.80

Rule 3: Break away from the norm
The first and foremost thing is to get rid of the thought of wearing heels, not even wedges. The point is not to duplicate the red carpet look or look too polished; it’s about individuality and having fun with the lightweight, carefree characteristics of the maxi dress. My recommendation for those who are still experimenting is to pair it up with gladiator sandals or cute flip-flops. Otherwise, lace-up oxfords and detailed flats are brilliant choices. Also, blazers (boyfriend or not) go pretty well with the maxi trend.

Sleek and chic

Dries Van Noten

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.