Style Snapshot: The Four Must-Have Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We all know it’s no small feat to find the perfect dress for that sorority formal or hot date. With the pressure to be fashionable, it can be difficult to distinguish the right dress among endless wardrobe options. We’ve compiled a guide to the four must-have dresses for all social outings. These four classic yet striking frocks will ensure that you’ll be the center of everyone’s attention. By just changing your accessories, these versatile styles can go from an elegant daytime look to a saucy evening number. So whether you’re dancing the night away at formal or attending a classy brunch, you’ll be the effortless fashionista with only four looks. Plus, you’ll save a little extra room in that dorm room closet.

The Little Black Dress

Of course, the Little Black Dress is a fashion staple in any collegiette’s™ wardrobe. To make this timeless classic your own, find a sassy cocktail dress that has a unique detail such as an asymmetrical neckline or embellished belt. This will make your LBD stand out from the rest.

The best part of a black dress is that you can wear any color accessory. Matched with a bright pump and metallic clutch, this dress is perfect for a formal, date or even a girl’s night out. Plus, if you need a sharp look for a daytime event, you can always dress it down with a white blazer and nude flats. Coined by Coco Chanel, the LBD is always a sophisticated and elegant choice.

A Colorful Cocktail Dress

There’s no doubt that every collegiette™ will need a formal outfit at some point in her four years at Mizzou. Polish off your wardrobe with a colorful cocktail dress. This eye-catching yet elegant look is ideal for any dressy event such as a reception or formal. Buy this dress in a nicer fabric such as satin to make it your go-to fancy dress for all seasons.

Find a vivid color that works for you, and match this frock with a black pump and chic clutch. If you want to sass it up, try wearing a silver or gold pump instead. Your choice of jewelry and handbag is the best way to tailor this classic style to your own taste. Although this form-fitting dress is spicy, make sure to keep it classy with necklines and length. You want the chance to wear this dress to any formal event.

A Print Dress

From paisley to Pucci, a bold print dress is a must-have. Whether for a luncheon or a date, this dress is a fun and flirty addition to any wardrobe.

With many prints to choose from, find a pattern that reflects your own fashion sense. This is the one dress that gives you more freedom to express your individuality. However, try to pick a timeless print such as a floral (InStyle.com named this print one of the popular trends this spring season) or a geometric pattern to make your dress more versatile.

Make sure to wear minimal jewelry such as a cuff bracelet or pearl earrings. Without any effort, you’ll make an instant statement day or night. For a nighttime look, wear a simple, neutral pump and handbag. Matched with a pair of wedges or flats and cardigan, this style can also be dressed down. Just make sure to wear no-frills accessories. Whether donning a Lilly Pulitzer print or a daring leopard dress, this style should speak for itself.

A White Dress

Don’t underestimate the power of a white dress. Although the color seems simple, a white-hot dress is a fresh and classic wardrobe choice for any season (even winter!). To give this color a little zest, buy a dress with an interesting neckline such as a one-shoulder.

Depending on the accessories, this versatile look can be dressed up or down. Paired with a nude or black pump and a colorful clutch, this dress is perfect for a formal or hot date. If you’re going for a more casual style, match this dress with a pair of colorful flats, a great choice for a spring brunch.

Don’t listen to the outdated rule that says you can’t wear white after Labor Day. With opaque tights, a white dress can be a stunning look in winter. So no matter the season, you can be a fashionista in white at almost any event. Plus, InStyle.com also named this color a top spring trend.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.