Spring Into Mizzou Athletics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The semester might be winding down, but Mizzou’s athletic teams are just getting into the bulk of their seasons. Tennis, baseball, track. You name it, and our teams are working hard to succeed. Check out what people are saying about our spring sports teams and how they are doing.

Gymnastics
Although gymnastics is considered a winter sport, you do not want to miss out on this exciting news. Mizzou’s star freshman Rachel Updike has advanced from regionals and will compete in this year’s National Championship! The 19th-ranked Tigers, who earned a second place in the Big 12 Championship for the first time in history, placed fourth at regionals April 7 but were unable to advance despite great performances. Updike has been a key performer for the Tigers all season. She received All-Conference honors, and she was named Newcomer of the Week for a record nine times. Make sure you check out the National Championship April 10-22.

Softball

After completing one of the most successful seasons in history, Mizzou softball is ready to build on last year’s success and continue its dominance. They were chosen as number one in the Big 12 preseason poll and number five in the country. They are currently 33-8 and recently moved up to number 10 in the country. The Tigers are looking to red-shirt junior Chelsea Thomas for leadership, and she is fulfilling that roll. She was recently voted Pitcher of the Week, while teammate Ashley Fleming won USA Softball Player of the Week and Big 12 Player of the Week. They play number-five ranked Oklahoma April 20-22. Make sure you go to cheer your Tigers on to victory!

Baseball

The men of black and gold are off to a pretty decent start this spring with a record of 18-17. They were picked number five in the Big 12 preseason poll and remain near the middle of the pack. However they have potential to make a run for some major wins because they have returned seven of their nine position players and their top two pitchers. They even upset the then-number-six ranked Texas A&M back in March. The Tigers have important series against Kansas State and Texas coming up in the next month, so make sure to come out to cheer them on!

Women’s Tennis
She might be in her first year as Mizzou’s tennis coach, but Sasha Schmid is certainly making a name for herself. The ranked Tigers have caused upset after upset, as they remain consistent in the national rankings. Currently they’re ranked number 45 nationally with a 10-9 record. It should be noted that rankings in tennis include more teams than other sports. The team has four returning players, including Jamie Mera, who went 15-0 last season.

Men and Women’s Track and Field

Coming off an eighth place finish in the indoor national championships, runner Ricky West is hoping to lead the men’s team to a successful outdoor season, too. On the women’s side, the throwers are taking charge with placing in meets and setting records. At the Missouri Relays back in March, Kearsten Peoples, Jill Rushin and Cortni Ervin took first through third in the shot put. The two teams also kicked off April in record-setting and winning fashion at the Arkansas Relays and the Texas Relays. Leslie Farmer set a school record in the 400-meter hurdles, and Peoples moved up to the Mizzou’s All Time Top List in the Discus. Long jumper Malcolm Pennix placed fourth at Texas.

Women’s Golf
Hard work has paid off, as the ladies placed fourth at the Ole Miss Rebel Intercollegiate this past weekend. In addition, four of the players placed in the top 20. Sophomore Taylor Gohn led the Tiger pack as she finished in a tie for 14th place. Freshman Alina Rogers and seniors Hannah Lovelock and Marissa Cook all tied for 19th. Their next match will be a big one: the Big 12 Championships, which take place April 27-29 in Lawrence, Kansas. From there, the Tigers hope to make it to the national championships in May.

Men’s Golf
Our men in polos have been swinging clubs and sinking putts consistently this season.  They are led by junior Jace Long, who was voted played of the year for the state of Missouri back in November and freshman Ryan Zech. Zech earned his first title April 10 as the Tigers won their second consecutive tournament title. Their first victory came in March at the C&F Bank Intercollegiate in Virginia. The Big 12 Golf Championships are next for the Tigers, which take place April 27-29 in Trinity, Texas.

For more information on your favorite Tigers, statistics and schedules, check out the Mizzou athletics page.
Photos via MUTigers.com

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!