“Something To Talk About”: Mizzou Idol Winner Alyssa Kelly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As Alyssa Kelly sat at her piano before a large crowd in Jesse Hall, her voice rang out with an amazingly pure and raw sound. The judges praised her for her ability to sing with such passion. This junior music performance in violin and psych double major from Liberty, Mo., is the 2011 winner of Mizzou Idol. But don’t expect her to stop with one win. She has shows coming up in Columbia and hopes to make singing her career. Alyssa isn’t scared to take chances. After all, she lives by the motto, “If it scares you, do it!”

Her Campus Mizzou: When did you first start getting into music?
Alyssa Kelly:
I’ve been playing violin for 10 years. I started in fifth grade, but I just started singing two years ago.

HCM: Who influenced you to first start playing the violin?
AK:
The junior high came to play for my elementary school, and I just fell in love with it. My parents were OK with letting me try it, but no one forced me into it or suggested I do it or anything. It was all my own doing.

HCM: When did you start singing?
AK:
My sister was always the singer in the family, so I was the instrumentalist. But once I got to college, I started learning piano because as a music major, you are required to take piano classes. So I started messing around on that and learning some songs. I realized that I could sing and went from there.

HCM: When and why did you decide to try out for Mizzou Idol?
AK:
I wanted to do it last year, but I missed the deadline. So then I saw the flier this year. I realized I really wanted to do this because I write my own songs, and I wanted an outlet to share that. I don’t get to sing very much, so I wanted a place where I could do that. I definitely jumped on the opportunity when I saw the flier for this year.

HCM: How did you prepare for Mizzou Idol? How did you choose the songs you were going to sing?
AK:
For the first round of auditions, I did “Something to Talk About.” I think I just went through my iTunes and found a bunch of songs and then tried them out on the piano. That one just fit my voice really well. For the callbacks, I did the same thing, but then I did one of my songs and “Feeling Good,” the Michael Bublé version. For the actual event, I was really stumped. I didn’t know what to do. One of my friends helped me pick the “Heavy in Your Arms” song that I did. “Poker Face” is the first song I ever sang in front of anyone. I did that at my residence hall talent show freshman year. So it’s kind of close to my heart; it’s my baby. Then I did a song that I had written.

HCM: When you won, what was your reaction?
AK:
I wasn’t paying attention. I heard my name, but I didn’t hear what they said before that. So I thought I had gotten second place or something. But when I found out I was the winner, I was so happy. My first thought was, “Oh good, I get to sing ‘”Poker Face!” I really wanted to sing all of my songs.

HCM: What did you win?
AK:
I got $800. One of the judges was the manager of the Blue Note. I have a gig with my band coming up; we’re opening for another band at Mojo’s in April. So that came from it. One of the judges was a talent agent from New York, so I’ve been working with him to see what the next steps are for my career.

HCM: Would you want to be an artist?
AK:
It’s really all I want to do, and Mizzou Idol really solidified that. I have gone through a lot of changes with my major. I’ve just decided my major doesn’t exist here, and that’s why I’ve had so many problems picking something. So I feel like I finally know what I want to do, and I know it’s what I’m supposed to do. I’m really excited to see where it will go.

HCM: Would you ever consider trying out for the actual American Idol?
AK:
I don’t think so. It’s just not the road I want to take to get where I want to go. I think it’s overrated.

HCM: What advice would you give other singers?
AK:
Just sing for people. My motto is, “If it scares you, do it.” Just don’t be afraid to use your voice.

HCM: What is your favorite song to play or to sing? Is it “Poker Face?” Are you a big Lady Gaga fan?
AK:
I think so. I like Gaga. She sells herself out sometimes because if you listen to her acoustic stuff or the stuff she did before she was famous, it’s just so good. Then she goes and pops it all up. But I think she’s great and just totally crazy.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.