Shows on Hulu to Bookmark For the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Netflix, while it really is a wonderful service, can’t have everything. There are a couple shows you can only find outside Netflix, and there’s a good chance it’s on Hulu. Hulu tends to have a lot of newer shows and has a deal with Fox to have exclusive rights to most of their shows. Hulu is easier to get than ever (at least, since it started charging a couple years ago) with their Spotify/Hulu deal for students.

If you’ve got Hulu, either through that deal or through mooching off a friend like me, then get these shows lined up so you can binge all summer long. Goodbye, classes and stress! 

BROOKLYN 99 

This funny, sweet cop comedy is not only a joy to watch, but it’s also really important culturally! Raymond Holt, the captain of the precinct, is a happily-married black gay man, and the show boasts a wide cast of diverse racial, cultural and sexual identities. Plus, if I’m being honest, Jake Peralta is probably my dream man. There. I said it. If you liked Parks and Rec, you have to check it out. 

BLACK-ISH

I really have a type when it comes to shows, obviously. Black-ish is such a funny show in the same vein as Modern Family, and Rainbow Johnson (AKA Tracey Ellis Ross) steals the show as the wife raised by hippies. The show manages to raise a lot of engaging cultural issues with a diverse cast and diverse subject matter. Again, if you’re a Modern Family stan, you’ll absolutely love Black-ish. 

FRESH OFF THE BOAT 

If you’re like me, you probably almost definitely grew up watching (and relating to) Everybody Hates Chris. This is that show, but for the 2010’s. It’s hilarious, and if you needed more convincing of that, Ali Wong was one of the premier writers for the first couple seasons. The show follows Eddie Huang’s family in 1995 as they move from Washington, DC’s Chinatown to Orlando in order to open up a cowboy-themed steak restaurant. 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you! 
HC Contributer Mizzou