The Seven Most Quotable Kendrick Lamar Lyrics from ‘DAMN.’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s already been a week since Kendrick Lamar released his fourth studio album “DAMN.”, so if you haven’t listened to at least one song by now, you’re missing out on the chance to experience musical genius. Lamar discussed the album with Beats 1 with Zane Lowe at Coachella, saying “We’re not focusing on him [Donald Trump],” he said. “What’s going on now, we’re focusing on self.” If self is what Lamar wanted to talk about, then he certainly accomplished that. 

Whether you need a pick-me-up or just want to enjoy smooth flows and rhymes, here are the most quotable lyrics from DAMN.

1. “DNA.”

“I got power, poison, pain and joy inside my DNA

I got hustle though, ambition, flow, inside my DNA.”

2. “PRIDE.”

“See, in the perfect world, I would be perfect, world

I don’t trust people enough beyond they surface, world I don’t love people enough to put my faith in men I put my faith in these lyrics, hoping I make amend.”

3. “LOYALTY.”

“My resume is real enough for two millenniums A better way to make a wave, stop defendin’ them I meditate and moderate all of my wins again I’m hangin’ on the fence again I’m always on your mind I put my lyric and my lifeline on the line And ain’t no limit when I might shine, might grind You rollin’ with it at the right time, right now.”

4. “HUMBLE.”

“I’m so fuckin’ sick and tired of the Photoshop Show me somethin’ natural like afro on Richard Pryor Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.”

5. “FEAR.”

“At 27 years old, my biggest fear was being judged How they look at me reflect on myself, my family, my city What they say ’bout me reveal If my reputation would miss me What they see from me Would trickle down generations in time What they hear from me Would make ’em highlight my simplest lines.”

6. “XXX.”

“It’s murder on my street, your street, back streets Wall Street, corporate offices Banks, employees, and bosses with Homicidal thoughts; Donald Trump’s in office We lost Barack and promised to never doubt him again But is America honest, or do we bask in sin?”

7. “GOD.”

“Everything in life is a gamble Nothin’ in life I can’t handle Seen it all, done it all, felt pain more For the cause, I done put blood on sword Everything I do is to embrace y’all Everything I write is a damn eight ball Everything I touch is a damn gold mine Everything I say is from an angel.”

My name is Brea Cubit and I'm a junior at the University of Missouri, majoring in journalism with an emphasis in magazine editing, and minoring in textile and apparel management to pursue a career in fashion journalism. When I'm not obsessing over Zendaya, Beyoncé and Cara Delevingne (and telling people random facts about them that the average person doesn’t care to know), I spend my time reading fashion magazines and blogs, creating mood boards, becoming one with my Canon camera, and drinking chai tea.
HC Contributer Mizzou