This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It was the sexiest night of the year, The Victoria Secret Fashion Show. It was also the night filled with quotes of “Why don’t I look like that?” “She’s so skinny!” “I’m so ugly!” and so on. We’ve all had one of those days when we feel at our most unattractive but for some reason everyone has one of those days during the VS Fashion show.

My twitter feed was blowing up with girls either hating their own appearances or pointing out non-existent flaws of models. While this happens everyday, it’s extremely prominent during the VS Fashion Show and I say enough is enough!

When watching the VS Show, flipping through magazines, or watching a red carpet show it’s important to stop comparing yourselves to models or celebrities. These people are paid to be beautiful.  It’s their legitimate career. They get paid to dedicate their lives to their appearances.  If someone was paying me to walk around in my underwear for a living I would never leave the gym or indulge in that Venti White Chocolate Mocha with whip cream from Starbucks.

We all want to feel our best and that comes from within. While putting down other girls or hearing people defend you when you insult yourself is a quick self-esteem fix it’ll fade, leaving you feeling insecure again unless you truly believe it.

To keep your self-esteem up all year, surround yourself by things that make you feel good about yourself. Get an A on a test you thought you failed? Put it up on your wall! Wear an outfit that never made you look better? Take a picture and frame it! Remind yourself daily that you rock because you do.

Also surround yourself with people that lift your spirit! Have that friend constantly putting everyone else down? Leave her at home. Why would you want to spend time with someone who constantly points out your flaws? And if all else fails call up your mom/dad/sister/brother/family member! I know when I’m having a rough day no one makes me feel like a superstar better than my mom. No one is better at seeing the bright side or knowing just what to say than family.

These are a few tricks to keep your self-esteem up even when watching something like the VS Fashion show but they won’t help anything unless YOU believe you’re awesome because lets be honest, you totally are! 

Photo Credits

http://www.insightzonecoach.co…

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/al…

http://favim.com/image/212008/

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.