Second Annual Collegiette’s™ Guide To Football: Everything You Need To Know For Super Bowl XLVI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Super Bowl Sunday is almost here collegiettes™! It’s time for pizza, commercials, and let’s not forget football. Although many of our conversations will focus on Kelly Clarkson singing the national anthem and the excitement of Madonna’s halftime show, the male species will focus purely on the Super Bowl XLVI rematch between the Patriots and Giants in Indianapolis.

This year we can finally be a part of the boys’ conversations with this crash course in football. Whether you want to impress the cutie in the Patriots jersey or are determined not to be the girl who talks only about the players’ butts, Her Campus Mizzou is here to calm your Super Bowl woes.

Team Profile: New England Patriots a.k.a. Pats
Colors: Red, white, blue and silver
Coach: Bill Belichick
Key Players: Tom Brady (quarterback), Wes Welker (wide receiver), Rob Gronkowski (tight end), Aaron Hernandez (tight end)
Super Bowl Titles: 3
Record: 13-3 in regular season
Fun Fact: Tom Brady is married to supermodel and Victoria’s Secret Angel Gisele Bündchen.

Team Profile: New York Giants a.k.a. Big Blue/G-Men
Colors: Red, white, blue and gray
Coach: Tom Coughlin
Key Players: Eli Manning (quarterback), Victor Cruz (wide receiver), Ahmad Bradshaw (running back), Jason Pierre-Paul (defensive end), Justin Tuck (defensive end)
Super Bowl Titles: 3
Record: 9-7 in regular season
Fun Fact: Eli Manning has a chance to win his second Super Bowl title (one more than his brother Peyton) on Peyton’s home field.

Football Basics
Object of the Game: Score more points than the other team by touchdowns and/or field goals.
Touchdown: When players bring the football into the end zone; it’s worth six points.
Field Goal: A player kicks the ball in an attempt to get it between the upright poles. It’s generally kicked on the fourth down and cannot make a touchdown; it’s worth three points.
Down & Distance: Teams are given four attempts per 10 yards to gain a first down (the yellow line) from wherever the offense is on the field.
Fumble: Occurs when the player controlling the ball loses possession, and the team that recovers the ball gets possession.
Interception: Occurs when a defensive player catches a pass intended for an offensive player.
Sack: Defensive player tackles the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage.
Safety: A tackle of an offensive player with the ball in the end zone. It can also occur if the ball is fumbled by the offense in the end zone; it’s worth two points.

So there you have it – everything you need to know about Super Bowl XLVI. Will Tom Brady win his fourth Super Bowl ring with the Patriots? Will they be defeated once again by Eli Manning and the Giants? Tune in to NBC at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 5, for kickoff live from Indianapolis.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!