Resource Centers to Get to Know at MU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you’re an incoming freshman, then you are probably completely overwhelmed with the new homework load, the parties and the campus events. However, you’re probably missing out on a few stuff, too. I get it; it’s hard to absorb everything MU has to offer until, like, your junior year. There’s some stuff that can wait till junior year before you get around to it, but knowing about the resources on campus is an absolute necessity. This is especially true if you’re a woman, LGBTQ+ or a POC, but everyone can benefit from these centers. 

Bonus: almost all of them are located in the basement of the Student Center on Rollins Street! 

Gaines/Oldham Black Cultural Center

This is the only resource center that isn’t located in the Student Center. Rather, it stands as its own building on Virginia Avenue. It acts as both a resource center and a place for actual classes. There are numerous events held through this center throughout the school year, such as the Mizzou Black Men’s Initiative and The Legion of Black Collegians. It’s a really cool place with wonderful staff and tons more events that I couldn’t possibly list and fit into this article. Pop over there whenever you get a chance!  

Multicultural Center

If you have any identity or background (which you do), then this center is perfect for you! This center celebrates heritage, diversity and communal support, as well as providing a vibrant lounge space to meet friends in! They sponsor and house numerous programs such as Diversity Peer Educators, the UnificAsian and Latino Student Orientation and Tunnel of Oppression. 

Women’s Center

This center, first opening in 1975, is one of the oldest women’s centers in the U.S. and is also the oldest center on MU’s campus. It is a lounge space with a large library, free menstrual products and safe sex products, as well as very comfortable. This acts as a safe space on campus to relax and unwind. Events it holds throughout the center include Love Your Body Week in the fall, the Vagina Monologues every February and Stitch ‘N’ Bitch every Wednesday from 4 – 6 p.m. If you don’t identify as a woman, don’t worry; the Women’s Center is for everybody!

LGBTQ Resource Center

The LGBTQ Resource Center is a small, cozy space that’s perfect for studying or curling up with a good book. Lots of bright rainbow decor to be had! The Proud Tigers Mentorship Program, Pride Month and Transgender Empowerment & Awareness Week are just a few of the services this center provides. If you’re and LGBTQ student, going to this center might comfort you, give you a place to feel confident in your identity and allow you to make some friends in the LGBTQ community! 

Rape and Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP) Center

This center has a slightly more formal feel and is perfect for cracking down and getting some serious work churned out. That being said, this center is something everyone definitely needs to know about because they can be a crucial space for people who experience sexual assault and sexual harassment, or people who are experiencing trauma from an experience before college. Please seek them out if you need to because they are a very important resource. Beyond this role, they also do events around the year, such as Green Dot

Wellness Resource Center 

The information on their website says it best: “The Wellness Resource Center is Mizzou’s source for ongoing activities that support wellness as it relates to issues such as fitness and nutrition, stress-reduction, alcohol and drug abuse, suicide prevention, and positive fan behavior.” They have substance abuse counseling, resources about how to reduce stress and how to have the best college experience possible. Check them out! 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!