Regé-Jean Page is Leaving “Bridgerton,” and We are Devastated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Regé-Jean Page recently announced in an Instagram post on April 2 that he will not be returning for season two of “Bridgerton” (cue the tears).

“The ride of a life time. It’s been an absolute pleasure and a privilege to be your Duke. Joining this family – not just on screen, but off screen too. Our incredibly creative and generous cast, crew, outstanding fans – it’s all been beyond anything I could have imagined. The love is real and will just keep growing ❤️❤️❤️?,” he posted accompanied by a photo of him riding a horse on set.

The Bridgerton Instagram account also announced the news in the form of a scandal sheet from Lady Whistledown. 

“While all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings. We’ll miss Simon’s presence on screen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family,” the paper read. 

Many celebrities have already taken to the comments to express their dissatisfaction with the news. “Wait!!! WHAT????” Kim Kardashian commented. Model and influencer Stephanie Shepherd Suganami also commented, saying, “You guys know he is the reason we watch right? ??”

Julia Quinn, the author of the “Bridgerton” novels, commented on Page’s post, as well, “We will miss you!!! ❤️❤️❤️”

So, why is Page not coming back for season two? The 31-year-old actor told Variety he never planned on being a part of more than one season. “It’s a one-season arc. It’s going to have a beginning, middle, end — give us a year,” he said. In the interview, Page goes on to recall his conversations with the producers about his part, “[I thought] ‘That’s interesting,’ because then it felt like a limited series. I get to come in, I get to contribute my bit and then the Bridgerton family rolls on.” 

What’s next for the British actor? TBH, he does have a pretty full plate. Page will be joining Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans and Ana de Armas in “Netflix’s most expensive production to date, ‘The Gray Man,’” a spy thriller with a $200 million budget. 

Page will also be joining co-stars Chris Pine and Sophia Lillis in “Dungeons & Dragons,” set to be released in 2022. 

So, as devastating as the “Bridgerton” news is, this is not the last we will see of Regé-Jean Page (thank goodness). 

Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.