Reasons Why You Should Watch the Netflix Series “You”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The release of the Netflix series “You” has been talked about all across social media. This could have to do with the fact that everyone’s favorite prep school boy, Penn Badgley, stars as Joe in the series. Now, Badgley isn’t the only reason to watch this series. Here are some reasons why you should invest the time in “You,” and you won’t regret it.

1.“You” is literally the combination of PLL and Gossip Girl

a. Between the secrets and gossip, You is constantly reeling you in, making you wanting more. Joe represents the A of PLL. He is constantly stalking this woman he likes, Beck, and watches her every move. The series incorporates this underlying darkness. You never seem to know what’s going to happen next. Between murders and interpersonal relationships, no one is really safe. Yet, the gossip part comes into play with Beck’s friends. Beck, who come from money, hangs around friends that represent the Upper East Side. These different values make Joe question why Beck is friends with them. The secrets and lies get the best of everyone in this series.

2. Dan Humphrey and Joe are literally the same person

a. Did anyone feel that Dan Humphrey was a little creepy in GG? The fact that he was Gossip Girl and was fine with continuously hurting people he loved was unsettling. We this Dan in Joe throughout the series. Joe is all about the gossip, always seems on the outside, and he is STILL into blondes. It’s so fascinating how both characters can be the perfect fly on the wall. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it makes for a great show to watch.

3. Is solving crimes your thing?

a. “You” definitely has a Criminal Minds, and Law and Order SVU kind of appearance. There are some twisted elements to this show and requires the audience to figure out the motive. Who’s really the guilty one here? The anticipation is real!!

4.If you like love stories, in a twisted sort of way

a. At the end of the day, this series is about love. One man just trying to sweep this woman off her feet, in ways she didn’t expect. They grow closer and closer and have the relationship Joe always wanted, for a period of time. Love is a powerful emotion that can overwhelm people and pushes them to do things. Is just loving someone enough to look past the indecencies?

If you’re needing a study break or just want some time to yourself, considering watching “You”. Just, prepare yourself for what’s to come!

HC Contributer Mizzou