This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With winter here, it is important to get your plants ready to keep them happy and healthy. If you don’t know how or need a reminder this article is for you!

Move your plants away from the windows, vents, and drafts

Yes, many plants love to get sunlight, but keeping them too close to your window will cause them to get too cold. Find a place in your home where they can get decent sunlight but stay warm. Also, make sure it is away from vents so your plant doesn’t get shocked by the heat. 

Don’t fertilize your plants

In the winter your plants do not need the fertilization, so put it away and save it for next spring.

Cut back on watering

If you want, you can get a water meter to see how wet your soil is or you can stick your finger in an inch to see if the soil is dry. Make sure you let your soil dry out before adding more water to prevent your plant from getting root rot. Reduce your watering to once every 2-3 weeks or even once a month.

Add a humidifier to boost humidity

The heat in your house will be dry, so getting a humidifier will help keep your plant healthy. Another option could be to mist the leaves periodically. 

Get a Grow Light

Add a few LED lights or grow lights since the sun is not out for long to make sure your plants are getting adequate light. You can also help this by just keeping your shades open in the day to allow more light for your plants.

Have pest control on hand

In the winter many pests may come inside and find a home in your plants. Using neem oil and insect control can help keep them away.

Bring outdoor plants inside

By bringing these plants inside, it can help protect them from frost so you can have them outside again next spring. 

It is very important to keep your plants healthy this winter! But there is no shame if your plants die, plants are hard to take care of especially in winter. Just do your research and do what you can this winter.

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.
HC Contributer Mizzou