“Parks and Recreation” Nine Year Anniversary: Remembering Its Best Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Arguably one of the most beloved sitcoms in history, “Parks and Recreation” turned nine last week. The show ended three years ago, but its following is still going strong. Fans of the show were reminiscing about all of their favorite moments on social media to celebrate the anniversary. Here are some highlights from “Parks and Recreation” that we just can’t forget.

Andy’s “Bert Macklin” Alter Ego

Andy Dwyer is an unforgettable character for many reasons, but it’s his F.B.I. agent alter ego that made him more special. Bert Macklin gave audiences several scenes to laugh at, including his efforts at breaking the case of a thrown pie that hit Ben Wyatt in the face. His “expert analysis” may not have always been correct, but his passion for solving crime eventually landed him a job as a police officer. That’s a success story we can all find inspiration in.

Jean-Ralphio’s Singing

The character you love to hate, Jean-Ralphio, had a not-so-great talent for singing. Several conversations in the show were interrupted with his high-pitched notes, and sometimes with raps that never ended with a good rhyme. No matter how annoying he was, Jean-Ralphio brought a charm to the show that can’t be replaced.

Leslie and Ben’s Wedding

In season five’s “Leslie and Ben,” the couple spontaneously decide to get married, not wanting to wait any longer. Their friends rush to make their wedding the most special it can be, which involves some chaos; however, the end result left everyone in tears. With a wedding dress made out of memorable documents from Leslie’s career, and the service taking place in the Parks Department amongst their best friends, Leslie and Ben’s wedding is one of the most memorable moments from the show.

Treat Yo Self Day

In season four’s “Pawnee Rangers,” Donna and Tom celebrate Treat Yo Self Day. The lesson of this holiday: if you want it, you get it. After Ben and Leslie break up, Donna and Tom take Ben out for a day of shopping to lift his spirits and teach him how to treat himself. This involves Ben buying a Batman costume, and giving us one of the funniest moments from the show.

The Snakehole Lounge

In season three’s “The Fight,” Tom invests in a new club in Pawnee, The Snakehole Lounge. Tom invites everyone from the Parks Department and encourages them to try Snake Juice, the signature drink of the club. In Donna’s words, the drink is “basically rat poison.” The gang ends up getting extremely drunk, which results in some hilarious clips from each character’s reactions to the drink.

Social Media Director • Mizzou Her Campus chapter Journalism - Magazine Design • Art & History minor • University of Missouri - Columbia