Parisian Chic: Living Like the French

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Paris. It’s the City of Lights, the land of romance, the dream destination of numerous collegiettes™ nationwide. Unfortunately, a college budget doesn’t make it easy to travel to this wondrous place and live “la vie à la française.” For many of us, Parisian women are the epitome of style, but how can we American college girls live like the French? The style guide Parisian Chic by Ines de la Fressange gives us the answer.

A French woman herself, Fressange passes along her wisdom to wannabe Parisians regarding how to dress, how to decorate your home (or dorm room), and everything else you ever wanted to know about living like the French. Her guide focuses primarily on French fashion – not the haute couture masterpieces that grace the runway but easily achievable everyday outfits. According to Fressange, every Parisian’s closet includes “the Magnificent Seven: a man’s blazer, a trench coat, a navy sweater, a tank top, a little black dress, jeans and a leather jacket.” Notice the absence of the stereotypical beret! You don’t want your outfit to resemble a costume. The style guru even lists the shoes, bags and accessories, many of which might already be in your closet, essential to your new look. Sorry girls, but leggings are on her list of French faux pas. In addition to her list of fashion don’ts, Fressange also included nearly 30 pages of stores popular among French women with varying budgets. Lucky for us, most of the stores have online ordering!

Looking the part isn’t all about the clothes. The book also gives invaluable beauty tips to complete the look. The French view good skin as an absolute requirement, so take some time to take care of yourself. Makeup should be natural, not overdone. Fressange describes the overall Parisian look as “effortless.” Don’t spend hours applying your face every morning.

French beauty isn’t just on the outside. Parisian Chic contains an in-depth list of how to achieve lifelong beauty. Her tips include “be well-groomed, smell nice, smile, be indulgent, be less selfish.” My favorite piece of advice? “Accept that there will be bad days and make the most of the good days!”

The book provides helpful tips on giving your home a French makeover as well. Fressange recommends choosing white as your main color, keeping everything simple and uncluttered, and allowing your space to reflect your personality. The manual covers every aspect of the home, including how to organize your closet. It might sound silly, but Fressange has great ideas and knows what she’s talking about. Enjoy 11 more pages of shopping destinations to make your dorm room a tribute to the Parisian life.

For those of us fortunate enough to have a trip to Paris in our future, this book is an absolute must. Its pages upon pages of Parisian must-see attractions, restaurants and shopping spots extend well beyond the common tourist attractions. Your knowledge of this “secret Paris” combined with your newfound French style will separate you from the hordes of tacky tourists.

After devouring the bestseller in a matter of hours, I can offer Fressange’s most essential tip: keep your style and space effortless. There’s no bigger faux pas than trying too hard. Although the look is simplistic, you can add in an accessory or a piece that doesn’t quite match. They will give you a new kind of chicness and the perfect opportunity to insert bits of your personality. Bonne chance, collegiettes™!

Sources: Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange with Sophie Gachet
www.thesimplyluxuriouslife.com
www.vogue.co.uk

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!