Oyinkan Braithwaite’s Thriller is the Perfect September Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“Ayoola summons me with these words- Korede, I killed him.”

“I had hoped I would never hear those words again” (p.10)

For those of us looking for a distraction right now from the reality of Coronavirus and back-to-school stress, this is the perfect book to check out.

“My Sister, the Serial Killer” opens in the middle of a narrative rich with bold characters and an air of mystery. The book follows Korede, a meticulous nurse and her relationship with her gorgeous and complex sister, Ayoola. It’s a relationship fraught with sisterly tension and jealousy, complicated by Ayoola’s trail of dead boyfriends killed under murky circumstances.

Short chapters, titled with simple headings such as “Instagram”, “School” and “Blood” capture your attention and leave you hanging on every word. The titles also reflect Braithwaite’s simple and straightforward yet elegant writing that frames an interesting narrative.

The characters develop throughout the book as the reader experiences Korede’s world through her thoughts, anxieties and frustrations. The love story she craves with a handsome doctor sharply contrasts Ayoola’s flawed and often brief flings; just as Korede’s scrupulous personality balances Ayoola’s recklessness.

Flashbacks reveal the details of the sisters’ backstories and events of the past. You return to the present with a greater understanding of the characters and sometimes more questions, especially about Ayoola’s actions.

At the story’s peak, the exciting drama makes the book hard to put down. Even at the close, you are left wondering: how far will a woman go to protect the sister she loves?

“My Sister, the Serial Killer” is a winner of 13 awards and recognitions including being Shortlisted for the British Book Awards 2020 and shortlisted for the Women’s Prize 2019. Braithwaite is also the other of several short story collections.

Find Oyinkan Braithwaite at https://www.instagram.com/oyinbraithwaite/

Cara is a Sophomore at Mizzou studying Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Peace Studies. She loves journaling, handwritten letters and nature. You can find her listening to indie or worship music and slam poetry. Cara is also a Cincinnati, Ohio native and lover of Skyline Chili and Greater's Ice Cream.
HC Contributer Mizzou