Our Top Picks to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Heart-shaped chocolates and pink decorations are a sure sign that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Whether you’re lovestruck or flying solo this February, worry not. The real holiday we should be celebrating this month isn’t centered on romantic love, but rather celebrating friends.

Galentine’s Day, an unofficial holiday created by Amy Poehler’s character Leslie Knope in “Parks and Recreation,” falls on Feb. 13 and encourages a day of celebrating friends, girl power and all things red and pink. To make the most of this Galentine’s Day, here’s our top recommendations for celebrating the holiday with your best gals.

Take a group fitness class

It’s no secret that fitness classes are having a revival, with a viral video of Glen Powell and Tate McRae in the same pilates class proving that getting fit is the best way to hang out with your new besties. If you’re in the Columbia area this Galentine’s Day, check out Sarah’s Yoga Studio Valentine’s Day Puppy Yoga on Feb. 11 at Bur Oak Brewing Company. Click here to buy tickets and have the perfect day full of puppy love with your closest friends. 

If you’re not in the Columbia area, don’t worry. Any fitness class, from cycling to pilates, would make the perfect outing to spend a girl’s day. 

Pack a Picnic 

Gather your girls, fresh bakes and a blanket that can survive a trip outside for this idea. If you’re up to test your baking skills, try out this twist on the classic chocolate covered strawberry, or these raspberry cheesecake brownies for a more decadent treat. Once the treats are packed, remember to wear your cutest pink and red outfit for the perfect photo-op. After all, there’s no better way to show off your Galentine’s Day than with a cute picnic post!

Try out a new restaurant 

Any holiday, even those created by a fictional character, is a great excuse to try out a new restaurant. Whether you want to go the traditional brunch route and pay tribute to Leslie Knope and the rest of the Pawnee gang, try out a new coffee place or treat your girl group to a fancy dinner, there’s no way to go wrong when it comes to this Galentine’s celebration.

Have a Movie Night

Queue up the classic rom-coms (or avoid them like the plague) and grab all the heart-shaped candy you can carry for this twist on Galentine’s Day. Incorporate women-led films in the night by revisiting our favorite pink world of Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” or the sea-side town of “Mamma Mia!” to capitalize on the girl-power spirit of the holiday. 

If rom-coms are more your speed, revisit some of the classics this February, like “Sleepless in Seattle” or “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” or catch the newest rom-com to have the internet abuzz, “Anyone But You.”

No matter what route you take for this Galentine’s Day, remember to celebrate with your friends. They’re the ones there between every significant other, so make sure to give them their well-deserved recognition this February. 

Allie Tribe

Mizzou '27

Hi! My name is Allie Tribe and I'm a freshman majoring in journalism. I'm from Decatur, TX and I like to read, listen to music, and spend too much money on anything that's seasonal. MIZ!