Opinion: Support Michael Sam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

What was supposed to be a quaint Sunday evening quickly escalated into a media frenzy. Former MU defensive end Michael Sam publicly revealed he is gay Feb. 9. If drafted into the NFL later this year, he will be the first openly gay player in the league. I support Michael Sam and am proud to call myself a Tiger.

I find it unfortunate that someone’s sexual orientation is causing such a media storm. Shouldn’t we be focusing on Sam’s all-American status or his victorious play from MU’s triumph at the 2014 Cotton Bowl? In a Columbia Missourian article, an ESPN reporter who came to MU this past week was quoted as saying he was surprised by the calmness across campus after the announcement. There wasn’t a ferorcious uproar or heightened concern for his long-term career. Most students, if they weren’t expressing their support or encouragement, simply took in the news and thought nothing else of it.

I believe this is great reflection of the time we currently live in. If this news had broke even 10 or so years ago, the reactions may have been drasitcally different. Like MU’s official Twitter account says, we accept Tigers of all stripes.  

While support from his alma mater is profusely evident, Sam may still have challenges ahead. The NFL scouting combine is only a few weeks away, and many are questioning how this revelation will affect Sam’s drafting experience. Sure, the NFL is known for its virile culture, but that doesn’t mean a team won’t step up to the plate and overlook his sexual orientation and instead focus on his pure talent. 

If such a team can be so rational, it won’t only provide Sam with a well-deserved career, but it will make it easier for future players in similar situations. So I genuinely hope the NFL welcomes Sam and paves the way for a milestone change. If Mizzou can garner so much support, I don’t see why others across the U.S. can’t do the same.

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
HC Contributer Mizzou