NYFW 2017: the Top 9 Trends That Are Here to Stay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Every fashionista’s favorite time of the year is New York Fashion Week. Thanks to social media, the majority of the shows by top designers are streamed online (#blessed), so viewers all over the globe can tune in to see the upcoming season’s top styles hit the runway. Even if you were stuck in school while the craziness of fashion week was underway in the big city, tons of bloggers, YouTubers and avid Instagrammers had your back on the media coverage. Here is a list of the top 9 trends we noticed being all the rave. 

Athleisure 

Breaking news to all the yoga pants-loving college girls. Comfy is the new black, and athleisure is here to stay. We saw glimpses of athleisure hitting the runway last season, and, this spring, top designers like DKNY and Versace put their sportswear in the forefront of their lineups. With more women joining the movement to live a healthy lifestyle and gearing up to hit the gym, fashion-forward activewear only continues to become more popular (we might as well look cute sweating). 

Off the shoulder

The shoulder obsession continues with spring NYFW styles showing cutouts placed on one shoulder, both shoulders, or even styles that completely hang off the shoulders. We all love a good, casual “Oh, my top is supposed to be three sizes too big”, comfy and casual look.  

Florals

Spring is in the air and on the runway. Nothing says tropical vacay like classic resort-wear with a fun and flirty floral pattern. 

Stripes

Ahoy, matey. Stripes are clearly in this season, but the good news is these pieces won’t make you look like a sailor on the S.S. Fashionista. Get ready for summer because stripes straight from the beach, tailored to flatter every body, will definitely hold a presence in the world of fashion this season.

Neon colors

Can you say 50 shades of neon? We’re getting some major hints from the NYFW runway about what colors will be heating up the summer. Among the front runners are bright lemonade yellow and watermelon pink. 

Bra tops

When the sun comes out, the bra tops make their debut. Top designers like Alexander Wang, Oscar De La Renta and Victoria Beckham are showing their love for the bra top with several statement pieces appearing in their shows. It’s anticipated that the bra top will be paired with a slouchy shirt for a comfy, casual look among fashion lovers. 

Sheer everything

“Do you know your skirt is see-through?” Yes, I do. If the spring NYFW styles are any hint as to what’s going to be hot this season, this trend is here to stay. Designers show a variety of options when it comes to this style, with pieces ranging from a modest sheer skirt starting at the knees to a full sheer skirt with brief-like bottoms underneath.

Big earrings 

Say goodbye to your everyday diamond studs and go big or go home. Big statement earrings are making their debut this season and are sure to bring all eyes on you! Can you say… #selfie?

Ruffles

Not the chips. Okay, maybe the chips, too, but those are always in. Cascading ruffles are stepping into the scene as the weather gets warmer. They’re feminine, flirty and perfect for spring — what’s not to love?

We can always count on Fashion Week to give us some major inspo for the upcoming season, and Spring 2017 definitely did not disappoint. Not only were there trends that got carried over from last season (like the staple “cold shoulder” look we all love), but we also saw some unexpected wild cards thrown in the mix that are sure to shake up your spring and summer street style. Until the Fall, NYFW!

HC Contributer Mizzou